AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I needed some expert advice as I make a decision to purchase a surge protector/power conditioner. I am looking at the following models:

Panamax M5400-PM

Panamax M5300-PM

Monster HTS 3600 MKII

All 3 of them are within a few hundred dollars of each other. My needs are simple. I live in a house that tends to have power fluxes regularly. I wanted to get something that:

a.) Allowed for isolation of my PS3 from my Sammy 4095LNS and Onkyo 674.

b.) Allowed for surge protection in a part of TX that is prone to big storms.

c.) Allowed for the power fluxes in my home.

I could not find it anywhere for the HTS 3600, but I know the M5400-PM has a voltage regulator in it, while the M5300-PM does not, it still shuts down components when the voltage is outside of a certain range. I have read great things about all these products, I wanted a more Technical Response to my inquiry though.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
49 Posts
I use the 5300 and love it. If I were running higher end gear Id get the 5400 bc it has the pure ac outlets as opposed to the filtered ac outlets. Great discussion on power supplies under power management section!

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatkinson /forum/post/12933015

I use the 5300 and love it. If I were running higher end gear Id get the 5400 bc it has the pure ac outlets as opposed to the filtered ac outlets. Great discussion on power supplies under power management section!

I do not have high end equipment, but I thought that the voltage regulator would help, or does it really matter. I am not sure if the HTS 3600 has a regulator. I could not find that information. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rydenfan /forum/post/12933034

Have you considered Belkin PureAV or APC as well?

I have considered them, but not sure what level of product would be similar to these.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
383 Posts
I will just add one comment.

If you are interested in protecting your coax feed, you need to check the specs. Neither the APC or Belkin have the bandwidth to pass high def signal (only 950 MHz).

The rest I can't help you with as I have not done side by side comparisons.

I purchased the Panamax 5400-PM for less than $450, on the basis that it has bandwidth in its coax connection to pass high def cable (2.5 gHz) and that it has a voltage regulator.

Unfortunately I do not have feedback on its performance as I am waiting on my contractor to finish my HT.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dionyz /forum/post/12933423

I will just add one comment.

If you are interested in protecting your coax feed, you need to check the specs. Neither the APC or Belkin have the bandwidth to pass high def signal (only 950 MHz).

There is the 1 million dollar question. Something I did not directly think of, but yes, I will be running high def through the coax.

Thanks.

·
Registered
15,247 Posts
How bad are these power fluctuations that you're talking about and have you contacted your local utility about them?

As far as surge protection goes, you're better off going first with a whole house setup so that your surges are shunted to the grounding rod by the shortest path. Then consider point of use devices. Otherwise, once the surge gets in your home, there's no telling what the shortest path to ground is.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chu Gai /forum/post/12933910

How bad are these power fluctuations that you're talking about and have you contacted your local utility about them?

As far as surge protection goes, you're better off going first with a whole house setup so that your surges are shunted to the grounding rod by the shortest path. Then consider point of use devices. Otherwise, once the surge gets in your home, there's no telling what the shortest path to ground is.

The power fluxes happen when you turn on a vacuum or have too many things in one circuit. I do need to get the power company to install a surge protector at the entry point. I have already fried an AC unit due to surges a couple of years ago. A great deal of it has to do with the new construction in the area. Hopefully as things are finally built out, it should become much less frequent.

Thanks everyone for your help.

·
Registered
29 Posts
the 5400 is not a true variable voltage regulator like the monster regulator, it can only provide three discrete levels of voltage compensation

·
Registered
557 Posts
I have a J15 from APC . It is a UPS, Power Conditioner and AVR. It also passes HD just fine. Here's how it fits into my system:

·
Registered
1,318 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedurocher /forum/post/12933865

There is the 1 million dollar question. Something I did not directly think of, but yes, I will be running high def through the coax.

Thanks.

I think I'm a little confused. The APC and Belkin units don't have the bandwidth to push HD signals through the coax ports? Most cable companies downstream bandwidth is in the 54Mhz to 860Mhz range. This is where ALL of the video signals reside. This covers everything from analog video, digital simulcast, digital video, high speed data and VOIP. As long as the coax ports support passing 5Mhz(return) to at least 860Mhz, you should be fine. I've read this on many posts of having crappy HD signals being pushed through the "protected" coax ports. Any additional insight would be helpful.

Andy

·
Registered
383 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aoyork /forum/post/13046233

I think I'm a little confused. The APC and Belkin units don't have the bandwidth to push HD signals through the coax ports? Most cable companies downstream bandwidth is in the 54Mhz to 860Mhz range. This is where ALL of the video signals reside. This covers everything from analog video, digital simulcast, digital video, high speed data and VOIP. As long as the coax ports support passing 5Mhz(return) to at least 860Mhz, you should be fine. I've read this on many posts of having crappy HD signals being pushed through the "protected" coax ports. Any additional insight would be helpful.

Andy

Before I purchased the Panamax M5400PM I was using an inexpensive APC surge suppressor, which had co-ax protection.

I have Cox hi-def and when I tried to use the co-ax on the APC, hi-def image would have drop out and blocking. Also, the music channels had problems with sound drop outs. As soon as I hooked up the co-ax directly, without going through the APC, the issues went away.

With the Panamax, I am running my co-ax through it with no issues.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by aoyork /forum/post/13046233

Andy

I was going to try to get thins up and running this weekend. I will let you know what I see. My biggest thing is trying to figure if I should put my booster I have for my OTA on before or after the Panamax and if it made a difference to run the OTA and SAT seperate through the Panamax or split after the Panamax.

Suggestions? I have E* and OTA.

·
Registered
7,608 Posts
panamax 5400 passing my hd cable and ota just fine,one other reason i like panamax

it says protected against lightning yes others tell you to unplug during storm not much

chance if you are away from home.but in reality nothing protects against a direct hit.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
1 - 20 of 32 Posts