AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a new AVR (Pioneer 1522) and want to make sure that it is protected. In looking for a decent surge protector, I came across this (ETHEREAL ESP601R Power Manager 1000 - 8 Outlet, 2160 Joules) from A4L. The price is about the same as a surge protector. Seems like a good deal, but I don't know anything about these. Would this work, or is it just a gimmick?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hi, It's not a gimmick (Power conditioning), but that unit you listed isn't a power conditioner either.

Power Conditioning usually is a function of a UPS as some reserve power is always needed to compensate for a brown out. It can be done in units with capacitors, but I rarely see those (I really don't look either). I wouldn't worry about getting a power conditioner unless you have horrible electrical service. A "good" surge protector is more than enough.

Depending on your AVR or Preamp you may want to get a unit with a compatible 12v trigger. That way you can automatically switch the power on/off to certain components (BD-player, AMP,etc.) by just turning your AVR or Preamp on/off. Just food for thought.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts