AVS Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about a panamax power conditioner. Right now I have everything plugged into a $10 surge protector. Will there be any benefit from the power conditioner or do the surge protectors work just fine?

Thanks,

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
I am thinking about a panamax power conditioner. Right now I have everything plugged into a $10 surge protector. Will there be any benefit from the power conditioner or do the surge protectors work just fine?

Thanks,
That's a really hard question to answer without more information. Ignoring power quality and just looking at surge protection. Do you live in Central Florida with lots of thunderstorms? if you so consider a whole house surge protector at your entrance panel plus surge protectors at all equipment of value. If you live in Southern California where there isn't much lightening then your requirements are less demanding.

Do you live an a 60-year old apartment complex with 20 other tenants with a very old electric supply, where the voltage varies from 100V to 130V on a daily basis? Then you need a power conditioner with voltage regulation.

Further:

What's your budget?

What's your equipment?

Do you have known problems related to the quality of your electric power supply?

In other words, what are your requirements?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I live in North Texas. A lot of storms in the spring but not really any other time of year. House built 25 years ago. I have 10 things plugged into the surge protector between the tv firestick receiver and everything else. I saw a panamax Mr 5100 for $350. Has 4 high current plugs for sub and receiver.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Think of it this way, you only need one good storm and all of your stuff can get fried. Is your stuff worth more than $350? If so you are buying piece of mind. I have one and i was saved three times in one day. I live in Arlington Va. and the town was testing the power in our building, a 70 condo building. Power went out three times and tripped my Furman elite 15 pf-i all three times.

dave-t

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That was my main fear. Just wanted to make sure it was doing more than a regular surge protector

·
Registered
138 Posts

Thanks,
In Northern Virginia, where I live, we have frequent storms during the Spring and Summer. I have had various power conditioners over the years and they do make a difference when there are fluctuations and losses of power. I bit the bullet last year and purchased a Furman Elite-15 PFI. What I like about this unit is that it has a power reservoir of clean power and some other protection features that other brands don't offer. You should do your research and make a decision based upon what each brand offers.

·
Registered
15,147 Posts
The best way to protect your equipment is to have an electrician install power surge protection at your fuse box. A $10 surge protector won't help much, especially with a lightning strike.

·
Registered
317 Posts
My IT nerd guys told me to switch to a UPS box. The reason is the power passes into the battery and then to your electronics. This far exceeds what a powerstrip can do and generally much higher quality. Think about it, this is designed for sensitive computer electronics. The added benefit is you can stay "up" even when the power goes off for at least 5 or 10 minutes(OLED TV) depending on what solution you put in. I also have my home network on these and when the power goes out the entire WIFI and network stay up for a good 30 to 45 minutes. Keeps the kids happy. You can get a good one from $100 dollars to $200 dollars at Best Buy. Cheaper other places.

·
Registered
337 Posts

Thanks,
I would look strongly at SurgeX if you want to protect your equipment. Also as some have said have a professional install a whole house surge protection
system at your Fues box.

Gary

·
Registered
81 Posts
My IT nerd guys told me to switch to a UPS box. The reason is the power passes into the battery and then to your electronics. This far exceeds what a powerstrip can do and generally much higher quality. Think about it, this is designed for sensitive computer electronics. The added benefit is you can stay "up" even when the power goes off for at least 5 or 10 minutes(OLED TV) depending on what solution you put in. I also have my home network on these and when the power goes out the entire WIFI and network stay up for a good 30 to 45 minutes. Keeps the kids happy. You can get a good one from $100 dollars to $200 dollars at Best Buy. Cheaper other places.
This is only true if you have a double-converting UPS, also known as Online UPS. The models sold at Best Buy are called line-interactive and pass the power from the grid directly to your devices and switch to battery very quickly if there’s an issue. Only online UPS units isolate your equipment from the grid at all times. They start at $1000 new, roughly.

Reactions: unretarded

·
Registered
4,489 Posts
This is only true if you have a double-converting UPS, also known as Online UPS. The models sold at Best Buy are called line-interactive and pass the power from the grid directly to your devices and switch to battery very quickly if there’s an issue. Only online UPS units isolate your equipment from the grid at all times. They start at $1000 new, roughly.

Correct. The normal UPS devices (that most consumers are familiar with) offer the same "surge" protection as the $10 "surge" strips. Very minimal, at best. Also, when they do switch to backup power, it's not clean power, unless you get a pure sinewave model.

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
The best/cheapest way to protect sensitive electronics from things like lightening strikes is home-owners insurance with a lowish deductible and with a replacement-value rider.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Bumping this...my APC power conditioner went out and unfortunately I am on a tight budget. I have about $15k in equipment so I need at least surge protection and a battery back up. I live in the Houston area and there are surges here.

It is my understanding that in my area I need the protection more than I need the power conditioning.

·
Registered
567 Posts
these things wont stop a lightening strike.

Simply look at them as a neat and tidy way to add more electrical outlets in a close and convenient place. need confirmation? Go look at photos with pro audio racks and see what they are using for surge protectors ... yeah its true.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
On a tight budget, the Panamax SP8-AV is a pretty easy choice. For about $80 you get EMI/RFI filtering, 8 surge protected AC outlets, a set of coax and phone inputs/outputs, and a $50k connected equipment lifetime warranty. They work well and are cheap insurance.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Bumping this...my APC power conditioner went out and unfortunately I am on a tight budget. I have about $15k in equipment so I need at least surge protection and a battery back up. I live in the Houston area and there are surges here.

It is my understanding that in my area I need the protection more than I need the power conditioning.
I recommend this;

Tripp Lite 1500VA 900W UPS Battery Back Up, AVR, LCD Display, Line-Interactive, 10 Outlets, 120V, USB, Tel & Coax Protection (SMART1500LCDT)

Cheers

·
Registered
1 Posts
What is the best entry level power conditioner you all recommend? I am putting together my first setup and want to protect my investment. I live on the coast of SC and get a good amount of storms. I see Furman and Paramax everywhere, are there other brands I need to look into? Thanks

1 - 18 of 18 Posts