AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My AV room has a Window AC Unit and a Mini-Fridge -- as you can imagine I have a hum problem as a result.

I finally decided to try something: Monster PRO 5100
http://www.monstercable.com/productdisplay.asp?pin=2139

Normally I wouldn't buy Monster, but at 65% off it seemed worth trying.

I hooked it up and it got rid of the hum on my receiver feed speakers and reduced the hum in my amp feed speakers. It did what I wanted it to do -- that being said one of the outlets is dead on it.

I checked it for continuity, which it has, but it gets no power. I am debating bothering to return it or just use it as is. ( I bought it online and I believe I would have to pay to ship it back).

Is it likely that the unit will completely fail or keep working as is?

The other thing is that the unit doesn't have AVR. Which is kind of disappointing that a product that is supposed to retail for $800 wouldn't have that.

If I would send it back, is the unit worth it for the price I paid or are there other units that do just as well or better?

·
Registered
4,546 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesandstereo /forum/post/17004319

My AV room has a Window AC Unit and a Mini-Fridge -- as you can imagine I have a hum problem as a result.

I hooked it up and it got rid of the hum on my receiver feed speakers and reduced the hum in my amp feed speakers. It did what I wanted it to do -- that being said one of the outlets is dead on it.

I checked it for continuity, which it has, but it gets no power. I am debating bothering to return it or just use it as is. ( I bought it online and I believe I would have to pay to ship it back).

The other thing is that the unit doesn't have AVR. Which is kind of disappointing that a product that is supposed to retail for $800 wouldn't have that.

If I would send it back, is the unit worth it for the price I paid or are there other units that do just as well or better?

I truly doubt that anyone paid $800.00 for this. But I did see it for 299. If you paid that much for it, then you paid 250 too much! Find a filtered powerstrip and that will fix your probelm. Stay away from the Audioholics SNAKE OIL!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perpendicular /forum/post/17004522

Depending on how much total current your system draws, a power strip would be a bad move.

Try APC for a home theater power conditioner at a decent price.

Like this one?
http://www.apc.com/products/apcav/pr...K&tab=features

They can be had for less than list, just wanted to be sure I'm getting something that is generally considered a good unit.

·
Registered
4,546 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perpendicular /forum/post/17004522

Depending on how much total current your system draws, a power strip would be a bad move.

Try APC for a home theater power conditioner at a decent price.

You can buy power strips in different sizes w/ filter and protection that will fit his needs. If you are going to do it correctly and you want to spend lots of cash, buy a double conversion UPS. By the way, the APC HT is mostly overpriced and that is a fact. In a past life I sold UPS systems and inverters.

Now if you like the APC appliqué in your rack, spend the extra 200 to 600 dollars.

·
Registered
15,247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesandstereo /forum/post/17004319

Not really likely. You should first begin by disconnecting everything down to the receiver and speakers. Then you keep adding back components until the hum returns. I'm tempted to say the reason has to do with your incoming cable, but...

Quote:

Well, you do get a lot of bells & whistles with that.

Quote:

If it reduced the hum, it 'might've' been because of the incoming cable.

Quote:

Read the manual carefully to make sure there's not a setting you need to activate.

Quote:

No idea, but see above.

Quote:

Useful only if you need it. Little voltage swings are no big thing.

Quote:

Well Belkin, APC, and Tripplite to name a few do comparable things. As it stands now, you need to verify there's a problem. Then proceed accordingly.

·
Registered
4,546 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesandstereo /forum/post/17004621

Like this one?

They can be had for less than list, just wanted to be sure I'm getting something that is generally considered a good unit.

Audioholics snake oil, you found it
This would be Webster's perfect definition of "NO"! The buck and boost circuit can cause noise and other issues. This is a horrible choice.

What is your total load?

·
Registered
3,140 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesandstereo /forum/post/17004621

Like this one?

Yes, APC is in use by many AVS members and is considered one of the best for the money and it works. I have and use the model H10 myself.

You may want to look into the PS Audio Duet or, depending on how many outlets you need, Quintet. I also use the Quintet and you can find it at a lower price point than the APC H15. Also, you can find the H10 for a lower price than the H15.

Note: Both companies use voltage regulation, which is very important for flat panel sets, on top of surge protection (that actually work). Visit PS Audio's Website to learn more about their products and how they stack up against the competition. If you need a link to their video demo, PM me. I will be more than happy to point you in the right direction.

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I ended up with the H15. Also solved my hum and for less money. It has AVR, which I ended up needing(watching the voltmeter it was 125 in the morning and 111 in the afternoon).

There are no ground loops in my system that I know of. I have my Receiver, video sources and PJ on a UPS into a Surge(my coax is grounded there). My 2 amps and dsp are now plugged into the H15.

I have two sets of RCAs going from the receiver to the amps, which both go through Ebtech hum eliminators( They balance the line and act as ground lifter)-- so I am not getting a ground loop between the receiver and the amps.

The AC unit is on its own outlet. And the fridge is on the same outlet as the H15 separate socket.

Short of the situation is I ended up needing the AVR and they both solved my hum issues. (Literally all I did was unplug the old cheap surge strip I was using plug the new one and problem solved.)

Note: Both my amps are high power, one is rated to 2000 watts and the other is 800 watts. Although normally I am only pulling around 1200 watts combined.

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
Here are some links

info on Double Conversion UPS- How they work
http://www.pcguide.com/ref/power/ext...sOnLine-c.html

Here is one company that builds On Line/Double conversion UPS
http://www.cyberpowersystems.com/pro...t-app-ups.html

If you purchase anything less, then stay with a rated powerstrip that will filter and protect.

All of the mfgrs that build these type of ups systems. Stay away from UPS system that are called Line Interactive or conditioners/bbs that use buck and boost. I have sold all different kinds on UPS systems in the past. For this hobby, On/Line or Double Conversion product, if you really care.

By the way, the H15 never cured anything that a much lesser price product could cure
The only ones that are pimping this product are the ones that don't know any better, or, selling the product

But then, I have seen people drink sand on this website. Would you like another glass?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by B&W700guy /forum/post/17006174

Here are some links

info on Double Conversion UPS- How they work
http://www.pcguide.com/ref/power/ext...sOnLine-c.html

Here is one company that builds On Line/Double conversion UPS
http://www.cyberpowersystems.com/pro...t-app-ups.html

If you purchase anything less, then stay with a rated powerstrip that will filter and protect.

All of the mfgrs that build these type of ups systems. Stay away from UPS system that are called Line Interactive or conditioners/bbs that use buck and boost. I have sold all different kinds on UPS systems in the past. For this hobby, On/Line or Double Conversion product, if you really care.

By the way, the H15 never cured anything that a much lesser price product could cure
The only ones that are pimping this product are the ones that don't know any better, or, selling the product

But then, I have seen people drink sand. Would you like another glass?

I got the H15 silver, which I'm sure you heard people were buying up cause they can be $100 or more less than the H15BlK for $300

Even though it may not be the greatest AVR, Do I consider the spikes and drops enough to warrant a high end UPS or AC re-generator? --probably not.

The other nice thing is the its rack mountable and has the 12v trigger ( both of which I plan to use in the future.)

To me the 5100 was the real crapper. Its really not worth even half what I had paid. No IR or 12v, No AVR, Fairly limited menu features, MOV surge protection only rated to 3320 joules(if I'm remembering right). After seeing it, I was trying to figure how it was better than any other surge for $50.

At least with the APC I feel I spent my money slightly better. If I wanted to do it properly I would do UPS to Surge like I did with my primary rack, but I was trying go cheaper. (UPS units for 1200 watts plus are not cheap).

·
Registered
868 Posts
I personally don't really like that power regeneration stuff if it can be avoided. The only way it is usually any good is if it cost way more than I'd ever spend on something to back up my sound.

I'd look into filtering. There are some great DIY's on how to make some that really work when applied correctly. IMO this is a much more desirteable solution than any of the power conditioners I'd ever be able to afford. John Risch's site has lots info for diy RC filters. There has been another popular parallel choke circuit going by the Hammond choke tweak or similar.

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
What... you still don't get it. Hope you don't fry the BB circuit. Hey if you are happy, great. But I would turn off the BB circuit. I think we will soon be smelling insulation

You sold me

·
Registered
4,546 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugly1 /forum/post/17006245

I personally don't really like that power regeneration stuff if it can be avoided. The only way it is usually any good is if it cost way more than I'd ever spend on something to back up my sound.

I'd look into filtering. There are some great DIY's on how to make some that really work when applied correctly. IMO this is a much more desirteable solution than any of the power conditioners I'd ever be able to afford. John Risch's site has lots info for diy RC filters. There has been another popular parallel choke circuit going by the Hammond choke tweak or similar.

Great suggestions

·
Registered
868 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perpendicular /forum/post/17006307

I hope, you're not referring to the APC unit as being a regeneration device because it's not.

Uh, maybe you should just be reading what is actually written and not the stuff you imagine to be written between the lines. If that was what I meant I would have written it. OK?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by B&W700guy /forum/post/17006253

What... you still don't get it. Hope you don't fry the BB circuit. Hey if you are happy, great. But I would turn off the BB circuit. I think we will soon be smelling insulation

You sold me

I would prefer a proper solution, but I don't have the cash to drop on another higher end power solution.

I would rather have some sort of line boost then running my gear at 111v which is getting close to the 10% threshold in which a 120v device is designed to operate.

V * A = W

If my amp needed 1000 watts

then:

111 * A = 1000

A=9

120 * A = 1000

A= 8.3

In a brownout situation not only is the appliance compensating voltage, but will need additional amperage to fulfill the needs of the application. I'd rather put the load on a voltage regulation solution, than put the load on the electronics.

·
Registered
15,247 Posts
Well, I doubt the current draw for your amp(s) is all that much on a sustained basis. But good job. How did you hear about the EbTech Hum Eliminator? Not that many folks are aware of their products.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chu Gai /forum/post/17006406

Well, I doubt the current draw for your amp(s) is all that much on a sustained basis. But good job. How did you hear about the EbTech Hum Eliminator? Not that many folks are aware of their products.

I wanted separate amplifiers for my DIY subs and second set of front L+R.

Pro audio components are much cheaper, more powerful, more versatile(in terms of functionality, and more rugged than any of their home audio amplifying counterparts.

I wanted balanced lines from my receiver and the added side effect is they act as a ground lifter. So they are great for low noise applications.

I go from a rca outs, to a line level shifter, to the ebtech, to the amp.

As a side note, I would consider the ebtech units all but audiophile grade, and the price is really unbeatable. I agree though they are sort of under the radar.

If you need any cheap they are selling the basic TRS units are on uber sale through amazon for $30 atm. I have the XLR/TRS units a bought awhile go though.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.