AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What if anything is recomended in the way of power conditioning/surge protection. I am looking at getting something similar to a Monster Power HTS1000 and maybe a battery backup for those times when the power here in Florida flashes off for a split second. I will be using this with a RPTV and other Home Theater equipment. Thanks for any insight.

Rob

[This message has been edited by ERobS (edited 08-19-2001).]

·
Registered
101 Posts
 http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/image_uploads/atomanim.gif

Hi ERobS!

I'll take a stab at this. I used to have a very expensive Power Wedge. One day I disconnected it and hooked my equipment up to a cheapie surge protector and was amazed at the sudden jump in clarity and brilliance in both audio and video! Apparently, the Power Wedge was actually over-suppressing my system. However, I did want to provide some quality level of protection and filtering for my system and I have been using the Monster HTS2000 with great success! It has been very highly rated also. There is another member here by the name of Alan Maher who is really knowledgeable about unique problems and suppressing them, perhaps you will hear from him also or can contact him.

A lot of people suffer from really dirty AC power to their their outlets. I know a lot of people who have simply contracted an electrician (couple hundred bucks) to run a clean dedicated line directly from their outside panel box to their equipment. This provides really clean AC power and will often eliminate nagging unique interference problems...but Alan can fill you in on all that much better than I could. Good luck in you choice . . . Waving!
http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/eek.gif http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/eek.gif http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/eek.gif

------------------

COBRA

. . . Unleash the Hounds of Hell . . .

·
Registered
190 Posts
I am also going through this dilema. I think I have come to a conclusion on the type of hardware I want.

I think using an APC Line Conditioner would be the best solution. I also like the Monster Power HS5000, but is way too expensive ($1495). The APC Line Conditioner is rated up to 1250 watts and manages the line from 87v - 140v. It is a computer grade line conditioner which should be good enough for our AV equipment. (Tripplite also makes a line conditioner)

I have also thought about using the APC UPS PRO 1400 (~$650). But, I think the line conditioner could do the same job.

Check out www.buy.com or www.cdw.com for computer grade line conditioners.

Let me know what you guys think.

Regards,

Nav

·
Registered
3,679 Posts

I use a CyberPower 900AVR to maintain voltage levels. It is one of the very very few UPS's that continuously maintain proper voltage. (AVR - Automatic Voltage Regulation) Most do nothing unless the line voltage drops below a threshold and then they switch to battery backup. The 900AVR is available from Best Buy for $149. Normally this kind of regulation is fairly expensive.

I just recently added a Monster HTS1000. To my surprise my cable channels look much better through my TV's internal line doubler. I haven't removed the HTS1000 just to make sure it wasn't something else but my NTSC pictures are definitely improved. The Monster HTS line are simple noise filters but perhaps they are somewhat useful.

·
Registered
987 Posts
You opened up a can of worms here.

There are 3 different problems I see.

1. Intermittent power flicks, like here in FL. Any battery back up would work. I use an APC, and find it allows power during the storm flicks. I also have a few small APC units connected to VCR's so that this problem will not stop tape problems.

2.Surge suppression. This is when lightning or load changing on the AC power line causes power surge and spikes. Now these "protectors" are usually MOV devices that absorbs the surge or spike so they "hopefully" do not damage your equipment. BUT ***** they are only as good as the amount of energy they can absorb (usually defined as joules). If the surge is larger than it can handle, it will blow out, and unless there is something to tell you it is bad, it will only protect once and is useless after that. Some have a indicator, but I don't know how good they are. I am researching this problem. If the surge is too powerful, it will pass right through and still damage your equipment. I assume for a small surge, it will work a few times. Then there is the surge and spikes on the telephone and modem lines. They usually are the same with a fuse in line. Then if they work, it blows the fuse, and no telephone line. Then you have to go out and buy a new one.

3. Noise on the AC line. This is usually caused by motors etc. Depending on the type of noise, some TV pass through the noise in their power supplies, and you get the interferrence on the screen.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I do appreciate the insight I am receiving. I assumed that there would be no complete answer, just wanted to get others opinions to help in my decision.

Thanks all,

Rob

·
Super Moderator
21,532 Posts
I use large (2KVA) UPS systems to power my computer and A/V electronics- and all are on a backup 11 KW natural gas generator-power amps and laser printer are exceptions. Of note is that generators do not handle UPS well, and UPS do not like to power add on power conditioners. My generator can handle 3 UPS systems- 2 are 2KW for A/V and a third 1KW for telephone and security system with no other power conditioners-this works well to protect from spikes and surges, and keeps the hardware running until the generator kicks in. Be careful not to add too many of these devices as their power factor makes large demands on the system

·
Registered
99 Posts
I use a Belkin UPS with AVR (auto voltage regulation). I have my TV & receiver plugged into this. The mistake I made was not getting a model that was big enough to handle the wattage for more equipment, as I would like to be able to plug in my DVD, HDTV receiver, CD player, etc.

But for the equipment that is plugged in, it works great. There is one notable occasion where we had the TV on, and everything else in the house flicked off for about 1 second. The alarm on the UPS went off, but the TV never knew the difference. That one incident alone could have easily killed a lot of $$$.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.