AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody know where I can find some good information on the mythology of power conditioners?

Have my Panny 6UY on a radio shack surge suppressor.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Here's a quote from one of those reviews that emphasises the 'mythology' part...does anyone actually fall for this stuff?

The PowerGrid X8 gave the test system an almost shockingly high-resolution sound, and not the sort of artificial resolution born of brightness, but the real thing—resolution made possible through the unit’s extremely low noise floor and remarkable ability to help system components resolve exceedingly fine variations in timbre, texture, and dynamics. If you picture your system as having an imaginary “Focus & Resolution†control knob, then the PowerGrid X8 was the conditioner that turned that control up about as far as it could go.

As I listened to reference discs, I was astonished to hear the X8 help my source components show textural and timbral nuances I’d never heard before (nuances I never dreamed were encoded in my discs). The X8 lifted the performance of source components more than a few notches, so that good $300 CD players sounded more like $1000 models, and $1000 models better still. Overall, this conditioner was a delight whose only drawbacks were a slightly analytical (though not particularly bright) sound overall, combined with a moderate tendency to reveal any edginess, such as sibilance or hard-edged string or brass tones, present in recordings.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Floata King
Anybody know where I can find some good information on the mythology of power conditioners?

Have my Panny 6UY on a radio shack surge suppressor.

Power conditioning is no myth. Unless your TV is the only electrical appliance in your house you have got polluted power running into it. I have two power conditioners, one for my TV, the other for my stereo. Makes a huge difference on both components.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Obviously you have to be in love with your power conditioner to write like this: "shockingly", "extremely", "remarkable", "exceedingly", "astonished", "delight" etc.

The effect of power conditioners, in most situations, seems to be more subjective than objective. I believe the situation is similar to super-duper cables versus decent cables. But when you are in love you are in love... :)

Andrzej

·
Registered
798 Posts
Before you buy any surge protector or line conditioner, I would seriously advise you looking into a Brickwall Surge protector. They are inexpensive compared to the Panamax, Monster, Richard Grey etc. (About $250) and are absolutely Bullet proof protection. They offer various models with Isolated power . They can be found here http://www.brickwall.com/

I would not trust anything else!!

·
Registered
841 Posts
While I used to be skeptical , I decided to investigate and it is very true that if you select the right units they can be very effective in causing considerable improvement to both audio and video.

Consider this if you will. Remember when you wife or SO would run the vacumn cleaner in the next room while you were watching TV? Remember the resulting "junk" on the screen?

Well depending on where you live all kinds of RFI and EMI are affecting your electrical line or the cords used to supply your components. Even in your own home when the refrigerator, washer and dryer, dishwasher, computer, air conditioner, etc are on they cause a lot of macro and micro problems to your system.

I remember some years ago I could tell when my little brother pulled into the garage, because something in the ignition system on his car would send some type of RFI/EMI to both the TV and the Sound until he turned his engine off.

On top of that some main electrical supply lines have "acceptable" sag. That is they might vary from 99-120 volts.

If you live in a big city, just listen to your rig during the any week day when the local factories and offices have the computers, copy machines, air conditioners and whatever going and all the cars and trucks are running outside your house.

Then listen to it after 8:00 when much of this stuff has been shut down and traffic is much less.

These devices (do your homework) "DO" offer a degree of improvement.

I recently picked up a BPT BP-1 of a custom build variety and although I won't rave like the fellow who wrote the raving review above, I will say that even durning the day, the difference was startling.

For the audio, if I had to use one word to describe it I would say it made everything more "REAL". and not subtley. I mean noticably.

As far as video. I just plugged my old RPTV into the unit yesterday and my first impression was more "vivid" color in a commercial I am quite familiar with (Expedia.com vacation where the couple fight off the bugs)

So if your system already gives you enough "goose bumps" and you live way out in the country, 5 miles from the power company, don't worry about it.

If you don't, look into it but don't even try to go cheap. I doubt if you'll get to much improvement for less than $400-$800 depending on your system and what is affecting it.

For more information and discussion about the different types look here:

Types of Power Conditioners

JMHO

·
Registered
421 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bioforce
While I used to be skeptical , I decided to investigate and it is very true that if you select the right units they can be very effective in causing considerable improvement to both audio and video.

Consider this if you will. Remember when you wife or SO would run the vacumn cleaner in the next room while you were watching TV? Remember the resulting "junk" on the screen?

Well depending on where you live all kinds of RFI and EMI are affecting your electrical line or the cords used to supply your components. Even in your own home when the refrigerator, washer and dryer, dishwasher, computer, air conditioner, etc are on they cause a lot of macro and micro problems to your system.

I remember some years ago I could tell when my little brother pulled into the garage, because something in the ignition system on his car would send some type of RFI/EMI to both the TV and the Sound until he turned his engine off.

On top of that some main electrical supply lines have "acceptable" sag. That is they might vary from 99-120 volts.

If you live in a big city, just listen to your rig during the any week day when the local factories and offices have the computers, copy machines, air conditioners and whatever going and all the cars and trucks are running outside your house.

Then listen to it after 8:00 when much of this stuff has been shut down and traffic is much less.

These devices (do your homework) "DO" offer a degree of improvement.

I recently picked up a BPT BP-1 of a custom build variety and although I won't rave like the fellow who wrote the raving review above, I will say that even durning the day, the difference was startling.

For the audio, if I had to use one word to describe it I would say it made everything more "REAL". and not subtley. I mean noticably.

As far as video. I just plugged my old RPTV into the unit yesterday and my first impression was more "vivid" color in a commercial I am quite familiar with (Expedia.com vacation where the couple fight off the bugs)

So if your system already gives you enough "goose bumps" and you live way out in the country, 5 miles from the power company, don't worry about it.

If you don't, look into it but don't even try to go cheap. I doubt if you'll get to much improvement for less than $400-$800 depending on your system and what is affecting it.

Just my opinion.

Your opinion is quite valid. My only other recommendation is to try to get a "balanced" power conditioner. In my experience the correct balanced power conditioner offers the most bang for your buck. If you can find a dealer that will allow you to audition this stuff at home for 30 days than you can't lose.

·
Registered
794 Posts
I trust you guys that in a "dirty" environment it can make a difference. I live in an 8 years old house with decent quality electrical wiring and enough power. The closest house is ~ 200 yards away. All cables are underground. There is no power station or any business with power equipment within miles. I don't see or hear absolutely any "noise" in my video or audio when our household appliances are on. Therefore, my feeling is that power conditioner in my situation is not necessary.

Andrzej

·
Registered
841 Posts
Lucky You!

Now as long as you don't use the blender, mixer, heating and AC, vacumn, computer, refridgerator, garage door opener, house fan, flourescent lights, halogen lights, dimmer switches, any RFI or radio controlled devices, while listening and or watching, you will probably be fine.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Quote:
Lucky You!

Now as long as you don't use the blender, mixer, heating and AC, vacumn, computer, refridgerator, garage door opener, house fan, flourescent lights, halogen lights, dimmer switches, any RFI or radio controlled devices, while listening and or watching, you will probably be fine.
Obviously, I use all of the above. I am also not blind and I am not deaf.

However, as you guys are so sure that it matters so much I am going to give it a try.

Andrzej

·
Registered
841 Posts
Andrzej,

Even though I have seen and heard a difference do be aware that the difference will be relative to the "best" performance vs the current performance.

Also it will be related to the quality of audio/video equipment you currently use.

As a pt time consultant/dealer, I looked into it because when clients would stop by my house to "audition" equipment, it was always in the afternooon when it sounded and looked the worst.

And I think if I was to add the "voltage regulation" type, I would get even better results. I have an elevator in my building and I can even see the lights dim when it comes on. (and a pool motor, and jaccuzi, and on and on)

I would suggest that you might find the greatest benefit from a Balanced Transformer type, since you are not plagued by some of the other problems we "city dwellers" deal with.

Let us know if it helps.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Quote:
Remember when you wife or SO would run the vacumn cleaner in the next room while you were watching TV? Remember the resulting "junk" on the screen?
I guess I should've married Wilma Flintstone. I'll have to ask my wife if there's any junk on the screen the next time I'm vacuuming and she's watching TV :D

·
Registered
841 Posts
Not being an expert in that area I can't say for sure, but any system that is influenced by the quality of electrical signal, or is specified to operate withing a specific frequency, has the possibility of being affected.

Now a Plasma might be less affected since the signal is not "blown up" as it is when projection and high voltages are employed.

I have a feeling that when you see a "rave" review of a plasma, that in some way, whether they just have clean power or they use a device, that the deep liquid, 3-D color and texture, as well as the "noiseless" deeper blacks are a result of good clean electrical power.

Also, I would venture to say that those who have transformer "hum" from their plasmas "might" experience an improvement, by using a "balanced" tranformer device (I could be wrong, but it seems to make sense).

·
Registered
154 Posts
I ordered a Panamax MAX 5100 last night, for my plasma system. Remains to be seen what effect the power conditioning aspect has, but the surge protection and the convenience of having only one power cord to the wall for the system is useful.

·
Registered
841 Posts
The 5100 is basically a "power surge" protector with a little RFI/EMI filtering. It probably won't offer much Picture quality improvement unless you currently have RFI/EMI problems

It does not "stabilize" or "balance" the power.

Do a good A/B and let us know how it works, but don't judge the effectiveness of "power conditioning" based on EMI/RFI filtering alone.

I believe the greatest benefit is probably to be realized from a "balanced transformer" contribution.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
FWIW, I've had a couple of power conditioners, and they really do make a difference. One thing I noticed was that the luminance curve of my plasma was much more accurate while calibrating with a CF-6000 than it was prior to using my current Monster HTS-5100.

I live in a new house in a new residential area. I know the power is basically fine, but the power conditioner still makes a positive difference.

YMMV.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.