AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I realize this is a frequently visited topic, so sorry for any redundancy cause by this post.

I'm a college student (read poor), with a fairly "humble" HT system, and have recently moved to a new location. Unfortunately this location has a fair share of power problems (numerous sags, surges, etc), which has caused me some concern for my HT equipment. So, i've been looking at some "protection/preventative" solutions to this problem.

Now, I have a very limited budget, so I as much as I would like, I can't afford anything like PSAudio, or the likes. What I have been looking at is units such as the APC Line-R 1250, or Monster HTS 2500... however, after spending quite some time reading posts here and elsewhere regarding this topic, i'm more confused than informed.

I suppose the real question would be, are either of these units worth the price? I'm not looking for any "gain" in audio/video performace (of course I don't want a loss either :D), but at the same time, I don't think a $15 surge protector is going to cover my problems. Many have said to stay away from APC for audio equipment (doesn't produce sine wave), so I'm also wondering if this is an issue with the Line-R?

I appreciate any information you can provide me, and I am always open to other ideals/products/etc.

Thank you,

----------

Ashley

(For Reference, the equipment i'm trying to protect is: Denon 2801/Sony 27" Wega/Klipsch KSW-12/Sony DVD Player)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Ashley - Figure out max current draw (amps) of your system. Go to an electrical recycler (cheapest) or industrial elec supply house (still way cheaper than audiophile cos) and get a good quality isolation transformer that is center tapped in the secondary and at least 1.5 time current rating of your system. Wire it to an appropriately sized breaker or outlet, making the "outside" secondary connections your supply (will be =/- 60 v), and the center tap the ground (can do this by using a sub panel wired just like for 220 v). Plug everything into this. You now have a setup that is basically the equivalent of equitech, and has most of the actual benefit of PS Audio. (but more efficient than PS)

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
s.dull,

Thank you for your reply. This is definately an interesting solution. I belive I read a DIY article on something similar (or perhaps the same) by Jon Risch: http://www.geocities.com/jonrisch/catch2.htm

My knowledge of power is fairly limited however, so i'd probably have to do much more research on this topic. To take something like this on, i'd want to make sure I could do it "correctly" and "safely".

Thank you, once again,

----------

Ashley

(Edit...bad grammer :D)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.