AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wasn't sure where to put this but this seemed like a logical place to start. I need advice on a new surge protector and line conditioner. Connected to this will be a a 40" Sony LCD, Onkyo receiver, Directv HD DVR, Sony BDP-S550 blu ray, XBOX 360, and a Nintendo Wii. Currently I have everything hooked up to an APC UPS which is old and starting to have problems. I was looking at The Monster HDP 1800. I know they are overpriced but they have good reviews which makes me wonder if it is worth it. My problem with it is that it has 2 sets of coax inputs but only one for satellite. My Directv HD DVR has 2 coax feeds from the dish. Can I use both of these for my DVR? Any other opinions on this unit or suggestions of a different device are much appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
We also use a large APC UPS. Just put $80 worth of new batteries in it.

Reliable protection from most any surge except for a direct lightning hit (ain't nothin' to protect from that). We have projector, tv, DTV receiver, HD TV.

I'd recommend another APC if the existing one can't be fixed with new batteries.

·
Registered
922 Posts
I'd second APC. Look into any of their products to be electrically sound and hype free. At the least, you will get protection against power anomalies. Given what you have, update your current UPS and add a surge suppressor after the UPS to increase your protection.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I'm currently using the Numark RC8 power conditioner. It's cheap ~$80 and it looks great in my rack. So far I've been very happy with it. It doesn't come with a connected equipment warranty like many of the more expensive units so if that's important to you then look elsewhere.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I have always used panamax, and have never had any problems. Although a battery backup is not available.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.