AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All web sites want me to hard wire an electrical outlet behind my wall mounted TV. Why?

What is a cord going to do running up 4 feet on the inside of a wall that it wouldn't do running 4 feet on the outside of the drywall?

·
Registered
1,367 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad4221 /forum/post/20871280

All web sites want me to hard wire an electrical outlet behind my wall mounted TV. Why?

What is a cord going to do running up 4 feet on the inside of a wall that it wouldn't do running 4 feet on the outside of the drywall?

1. Violate building codes most everywhere

2. Invalidate your fire insurance

3. Potentially heat up enough to start a fire, if wire gauge was too small, or cord was run through insulation.

4. chafing hazard on the wire jacket because the jacket insulation is not rated. Romex has a much tougher jacket.

5. Increased reliability of solid core wire not causing heat buildup as the wire ages.

That's pretty much it.

·
Registered
10,873 Posts
#3, #4, and #5 are the real reasons. But #2 is what it comes down to...

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
You can do it yourself for practically nothing. It's easy enough to do if you have an outlet below the TV.

·
Registered
10,873 Posts
Yep, if you were willing to poke a hole in the wall to fish a power cord through to a lower opening, you've already signed up for 90% of the work of installing a PowerBridge or similar device. No live circuits to touch, so about as non-electrical as electrical work can be...

Jeff

·
Registered
1,171 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor /forum/post/20872545

No live circuits to touch, so about as non-electrical as electrical work can be...

Until you tie it into the outlet / circuit nearby, of course ...

I hesitate to say this, because I am of the opinion that electrical is something you shouldn't mess with if you are at all uncomfortable with it. Electricity can kill you a lot faster than a leaky plumbing fixture can. However, this one would be about as easy as it gets. Get a good book on wiring, read how to install an outlet, take your time, follow all of the precautions the book will probably lay out for you, and you can probably do this one yourself.

Don't be afraid to call an electrician if this is not a DIY task you feel you can do. Likewise, this particular task is well suited for most DIY-ers.

·
Registered
10,873 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sands_at_Pier147 /forum/post/20874145

Until you tie it into the outlet / circuit nearby, of course ...

The PowerBridge solutions don't tie in directly - you end up with a power cord to plug into an existing outlet. But, yes, technically one could still screw it up...

Quote:
Don't be afraid to call an electrician if this is not a DIY task you feel you can do. Likewise, this particular task is well suited for most DIY-ers.

+1. If the DIY electrical books from Home Depot seem like too much - absolutely time to call a pro. All of us have called pro's in to do something we didn't feel confident in doing ourselves.

Jeff

·
Registered
1,171 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor /forum/post/20874229

The PowerBridge solutions don't tie in directly

I missed the PowerBridge part of your post. I read too quickly. I was referring to an actual outlet to be mounted high on the wall, tied into a nearby circuit. But yes, if one were to install a PowerBridge, there would be no electrical circuits to mess with.

·
Registered
9,223 Posts
It is indeed a code violation and does bring up the insurance question.

But in reality running a power cord a few feet up a wall to a TV is harmless. It's not going to start a fire or cause any other damage.

And as far as insulation damage, a cord is tougher then Romex.

IMO, they should revise the NEC to allow a 6 foot cord to be dropped through the wall up to four feet for a TV installation. With flat screens this is a very commen problem these days.

Still again, it is illegal as of today.

·
Registered
9,223 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayn_j /forum/post/20871326

5. Increased reliability of solid core wire not causing heat buildup as the wire ages.

That's pretty much it.

Ever hear of THHN stranded. Stranded wire is used extensively in commercial work as causes less friction when pulled through conduit. There is no concern for any aging of the wire.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.