AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
No, the question is why shield a power cord at all?

·
Banned
20,735 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11001011 /forum/post/15549857

No, the question is why shield a power cord at all?

Because you may need to run sensitive signals nearby it. So either you have to shield the signal cable, or contain the power cord in a shielded enclosure or conduit.

You don't need to shield a power cord from anything in any kind of normal environment.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisWiggles /forum/post/15550025

Because you may need to run sensitive signals nearby it. So either you have to shield the signal cable, or contain the power cord in a shielded enclosure or conduit.

You don't need to shield a power cord from anything in any kind of normal environment.

What sensitive signals? What interconnects are not already shielded?

Behind my system it looks like this...

and I still see (or hear) no need for shielded power cords.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Many rat at home? because look like a rat ness

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11001011 /forum/post/15551299

Behind my system it looks like this...

and I still see (or hear) no need for shielded power cords.

·
Banned
20,735 Posts

Quote:

Audio signals? Video signals? Data?

You'd be surprised, many interconnects, particularly boutique expensive interconnects, are often very poorly shielded, if at all.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Shielding blocks electrostatic fields, not magnetic (unless the shield comprises magnetically permeable metal such as steel, iron, or nickel). The electrostatic field about a power cord is mostly there between the conductors, so I don't think shielding it would offer any significant improvement.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisWiggles /forum/post/15556281

Eh? I fail to see what you mean.

In the near field, under 1/6 of a wavelength, the magnetic and electric fields must be considered seperately, unlike RF. Neither field has a wave impedance equal to impedance of free space (377 Ohms) as RF does. The shielding requirements for each are very different. Altough both fields exist around a low impedance source like a power cord, the magnetic field will predominate. Magnetic fields are very difficult to shield against and normal coaxial cable shields made of copper or aluminum foil are useless. Luckily they decrease rapidly with distance (r^2) and have only a limited impact on high impedance receptors like an audio interconnect. Conversely, the electric field is very easy to block for even the crappiest shields. Additionally, the electric field strength decreases even faster (r^3) with distance than the magnetic field. The weak electric field around a power cord is a miniscule threat and the magnetic field can't be practically shielded against anyway.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts