AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
18,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On average I turn my AVR On and Off 6-10 times a day. From a long term reliability standpoint would it be better to simply Mute it or turn the volume all the way down when not in use?

·
Banned
14,420 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007  /t/1522345/power-cycling-an-avr-damaging#post_24476243

On average I turn my AVR On and Off 6-10 times a day. From a long term reliability standpoint would it be better to simply Mute it or turn the volume all the way down when not in use?

There is a lot of reliability info for computers, but not so much for AVRs.

Today, AVRs contain a number of CPU's, but don't contain the big source of reliability in PCs = namely hard drives. But they do contain flash memory which may not be head-and-shoulders more reliable than hard drives.

That all said, the last time I looked at computers, I decided that the magic number was 8 hours. The stress of one power cycle was similar to that involved with 8 hours of operation. For AVRs I speculate that this number might be more like 2-4 hours.

I don't think you can balance the stress of power cycles with the stress of continuous operation with 6-10 power cycles a day. I might recommend that you figure how to manage things for about half or fewer as many power cycles per day.

·
Registered
18,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Arny.

I never really considered the stress of power cycling until the other day. If it might help with the reliability and lifespan of the AVR I can easily make it 1 power cycle per day. From your post that sounds like it would be a worthwhile endeavour.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts