AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have an inuke 6000 that power cycle about every 20 minutes , have checked all connections all ok, got this back in October did the fan mod on the day I got it, never had any problems until about the last two weeks, I bought it from Sweetwater but I'm sure since I've done fan mod all warranty is void, so if anyone has a fix let me know please,

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
You could try taking the cover off and blowing a large regular fan on it and see if it shuts down. That could at least prove that a new fan might fix it. But be very careful with the cover off.

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
You could try taking the cover off and blowing a large regular fan on it and see if it shuts down. That could at least prove that a new fan might fix it. But be very careful with the cover off.
I suggest take the lid off, adding heat sinks on the gold taps and put it in a well ventilated area.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ya I think I'll popatop and check for any thing obvious and try the fan and see what happens, And I was going to sell this, glad it happened now and not after somebody bought it

·
Premium Member
1,599 Posts
Ya I think I'll popatop and check for any thing obvious and try the fan and see what happens, And I was going to sell this, glad it happened now and not after somebody bought it
You could try measuring the temps of the components with one of those inexpensive, non-contact infrared thermometers. As mentioned above, adding heatsinks could go a long ways toward eliminating any heat related problems. The easiest method would be to glue them on using a thermal epoxy, or you may be able to find small heatsinks with double-sided adhesive tape.

Mike

·
Premium Member
5,604 Posts
^ this
I have 2 of these, both modded with the noctua's and I'd love to add heat sinks as I have a bit left a thermal adhesive left over from my SSR build ( to silence the "thump")
So if you or anyone can provide pics, or a link so I can see what I need wrt to heatsinks and exactly where they need to go

please , please, please!

thank you

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks archaea, after looking at about one page of the inuke fan mod page seems that is def my problem , so I'll be looking for some replacements, wish I would have left it alone now, o well, anyone got any good suggestion for stock replacements?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
the air is always room temp -- no matter how hard you run it because the chips that heat up are small enough that they don't heat the air up -- - they just need the airflow over them to keep them cool.

I had the same problem, went back to my stock fans and never again. There are a lot of examples of this.
Did yours power cycle right after you did the mod? Or down the road

·
Registered
12,900 Posts
@pony9134,

I went with a pretty low CFM fan and my problem was apparent pretty early in my mod on at loud levels. My stock fans weren't really that loud in my rack, so I just put the stock back in and have had no issues since.

I've read some people have had luck with the Noctua, but even that well reviewed model isn't without a couple people who have had problems, thought it is just about completely silent. I don't have any recommendations really since mine aren't fan modded anymore. One of my friends put a Vantec Stealth double ball bearing fan in an iNuke DSP 1000 and he has had no problems in a couple years. It is a littler loduer than silent, but can't be heard from much more than 2-3 feet away. So if I was going to try another one - that's the one I'd try. The Vantec Stealth also is a direct drop on replacement - meaning you don't have to splice anything you can just drop the fan header onto the motherboard pins.
http://www.amazon.com/Vantec-Stealth-SF8025L-80x80x25mmDouble-Bearing/dp/B000234W0E

The ones I had that didn't work were ENERMAX TB SILENCE UCTB8 ---- the Enermax did NOT blow enough air.
Air Flow: 27.94 CFM / 47.47 m3/h
Air Pressure: 1.479 mm H2O
Noise Level: 15 dBA

When I use the stock fans and turn on the iNuke DSP 6000 at idle I can hold the amp at arm's length and feel the air movement on my face. With the enermax I had to put my face much much closer to the amp front to feel the air movement. It worked at low volumes, but if you turned it up - it would power cycle.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
And they do not give away the stock fans from what I'm finding on the Internet , compared to what I paid for the dynex, but I think if I'm gonna buy fans again I better put the ones it came with , might put a wtb in the classifieds

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
I used some cheapie fans from Parts Express over the last year or 1 1/2 years in the I Nuke 3000 DSP amps and they work great and are pretty quiet. My I Nuke 6000 DSP amps are fairly quiet and I chose not to do a fan mod on these. I have another I Nuke 3000 DSP amp without the fan mod. My amps are right next to my viewing monitor and I can't even hear them watching movies.

All these amps don't need a fan mod. At least wait until most of the warranty is off the amp.:)

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.