AVS Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whenever I play a disc based blu ray, it plays fine I'm full screen, however if I play a video file that is a movie, or any video file on full screen, it does not fill the screen completely. I don't want to stretch it and distort the image. Is there a fix for this? Not sure if it's a codec issue in powerdvd

Thanks

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Did you try double-clicking the screen? Even when maximised it can still "window" the image, what you need to do is either double-click the screen or hit the expand icon in the bottom right corner of the controls bar. If that doesn't do it, I'm not sure--I don't really use PDVD for anything other than BD playback.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I double clicked it, that doesn't help. It's mostly full screen, but it doesn't expand all the way. There is about a 4" boarder all around. I like PowerDvd because it plays DTS-HD and displays it on my receiver.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
Hmm you mention full screen and Bluray/DTS-HD. Are you sure the files you are trying to playback were not encoded that way?
Try VLC and see what happens. It is free and you can download a zip file instead of an installer if you are leery of installers mucking up your operating system.
When you maximize you should have the image go to both isdes of the screen but will have black bars on top and bottom for movies on Bluray. Older TV shows on DVD and some BD's will be presented in their original aspect ratio 4x3 aka Full Screen, not widescreen.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, I have VLC, and the video files play fine, but the problem is it doesn't play in full HD sound using DTSHD. Only PowerDVd and few others you can bitstream DTSHD.

I am aware of the black bars on the top and bottom, but in this case the video doesn't make it all the way across the screen, so there are bars on the side of the video. This is a backup of a blu ray, so I know the file should fill the screen.

·
Registered
680 Posts
does your mouse go all the way to the edge of the screen, or does it stop at the videos edge? if it stops at the video and not the tv edge, could it be during the video, resolutions changes, and the overscan/underscan for that resolution at that refresh rate is not set in the gpu drivers and so underscans?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I will check tonight on if the mouse goes past the video, and post back. If it is an underscan/overscan issue, how would that be fixed? In the Nvidia control panel, I have the resolution set at 1080P.

Thanks

·
Registered
680 Posts
i know it well on AMD GPUS. I have an nvidia on my workstation, 1st nvidia ever though, so have not needed to mess with it.

from what i can see, if this is an issue, its in the display section under "adjust desktop size and position"

I know on my AMD gpus, I had to remove the underscan for each resolution, at each refresh rate. 1080p30 would be fixed, but i would have to do it again at 1080p60.

I dont know if nvidia has those issues, but thought I would mention that as a possibility.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK, so I tested the mouse, and the mouse is able to mover over the black boarders. I have a gtx-680 nvidia with a windows 8.1 PC, connected via HDMI to a TX-Nr809 Onkyo connected to a 55" Panadonic plasma.

Now the problem occurs mainly on Power DVD.

Thanks

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have 2 displays. The 2nd one is less than 1080p, but when I use my 1080p HDTV, I disable the 2nd display in the Nvidia control panel. I also have NVidia 3DplAy.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The 1080p display is already set as primary. It seems if I play an actual dvd movie, it plays fine, but when I play a video file, even though its HD, the boarders happen.
Could it be a resolution, aspect or codec problem? There are different aspect settings in nvidua control panel I could mess with. The options are: keep aspect, full screen or stretch.

·
Registered
680 Posts
any other player you can try? mpc-hc using the sticky on this forum section lets you bitstream hd audio.
i have not used powerdvd since version 10. if its not driver or resolution, makes me think its a powerdvd setting or codec.is there a zoom function?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes, I have MPC setup. I guess I could play non 3D movies on MPC, and 3D movies I'll have to try to get to work on Powerdvd.

Thanks

1 - 17 of 17 Posts