AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a user of Power DVD 4 Xp with the 1811 update.

I'm having trouble with reading 2+ Gbyte Vob's, from an NTFS part.(WinXP)

Anyone else have this problem?

NVDVD has no problem with the files.

And does TheaterTek read VOB's over 2Gbytes?

I've been looking into TT and so far I'm impressed.

Just need a little push to get me over the cost and this VOB issue just may do it.

James

·
Registered
358 Posts
If im not mistaken not VOB should ever be over 1gb...which is the standard size for dvd compliance...

Ive ripped and reburned over 100 movies (wink...Pioneer A03 ownz) and ive never come across any file that would be over 1gb. Now if your talking about a movie you ripped then a .M2V file is about 4gb and a .AC3 or .DTS file are aroun 300 and 600 megs respectively.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm using DVD Decrypter, you can put it in IFO mode and Rip all the Movie VOB's into a complete Movie VOB.

Also has ISO mode for Complete DVD images and File mode for ripping the 1gb Vobs as you mentioned.

I like the IFO mode, as I don't want any of the Extra Junk on the DVD(ISO)'s, and I don't like how PowDVDxp screen jumps during Vob changes.

It may also be my Partition is too big for PowDVDxp to handle, I'll test this by Ripping a DVD to my spare 10 Gb part. My Movies are currently stored in 70Gb partitions.

http://www.dvddecrypter.com/

James

·
Registered
358 Posts
Yeah i feel you on getting rid of menus. I HATE THEM WITH A PASSION. I reauthor all my DVDs with no menus. I myself am runnin on a 400 gb raid 5 partionion so i doubt thats your problem. I use smat ripper in "movie mode" if its a movie im not gonna fit on a single dvdr and i dont feel the movie is worth recompressing.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Yep, it's a known problem. I have an open tecket with Cyberlink on the issue. They ultimately sent me a note stating they sent the problem back to development - my translation was they confirmed it does not work & there is no work around. Hopefully it will be fixed in a future release.

FYI, I had been using version 3.0 and was able to play 4Gb VOB's with no problems, when I UPGRADED to XP, it choked on the same files (same machine) so it's definately a PowerDVD problem.

I finally began using SmartRipper/IfoEdit to rip to multiple VOB's, eliminate the menu's, get chapter navigation, and smooth transition between VOB's. Extra step but it's worth the effort because you can eliminate the extra's/menu's.

Great link here giving you the step by step details:
http://www.digital-digest.com/dvd/ar...dvdr_more.html

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.