AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased PowerDVD 8 Ultra edition and have a few questions.

First though, though it might help to tell everyone what I'm using.

Asus Maximus II Formula

Intel Q6600

Radeon 3450

LG Plasma

-Under options(video) it asks if I want to "Enable hardware acceleration(ATI Avivo), is this something I want to do??? - when I don't there is a green bar at the bottom of the screen, any ideas why?

-When playing movies on my HTPC(Streamed from server) I'm not getting audio for those movies with True HD or DTS HD MA, I realize my TV can't handle that audio type, but was hoping to get something...I thought PowerDVD 8 could decode it to DD5.1 or DTS?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,744 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbadalucco /forum/post/14224958

I just purchased PowerDVD 8 Ultra edition and have a few questions.

First though, though it might help to tell everyone what I'm using.

Asus Maximus II Formula

Intel Q6600

Radeon 3450

LG Plasma

-Under options(video) it asks if I want to "Enable hardware acceleration(ATI Avivo), is this something I want to do??? - when I don't there is a green bar at the bottom of the screen, any ideas why?

-When playing movies on my HTPC(Streamed from server) I'm not getting audio for those movies with True HD or DTS HD MA, I realize my TV can't handle that audio type, but was hoping to get something...I thought PowerDVD 8 could decode it to DD5.1 or DTS?

Thanks

Yes, enable HA. Some will said yes and some will said even yes it won't make any different...

You won't get any loseless format such as True HD or DTS HD MA using 3450. The best you can do today is LPCM using different MB or 4850. In the near future you can use Asus or Auzentech HDMI sound card and bit stream loseless format from your HTPC to your AVR via HDMI 1.3 cable.

Take a look here and this should give you some ideas.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hlkc, thanks for the response.

For now my main concern is having the ability to take the DTS HD or Dolby True HD audio and downconvert it into something my TV can handle, I don't have a receiver as it would be too much in my small apartment. Are you saying that if I purchased the 4850 it along with PDVD 8 would enconde the audio into something my TV could handle?

·
Registered
2,744 Posts

For now my main concern is having the ability to take the DTS HD or Dolby True HD audio and downconvert it into something my TV can handle, I don't have a receiver as it would be too much in my small apartment. Are you saying that if I purchased the 4850 it along with PDVD 8 would enconde the audio into something my TV could handle?[/QUOTE

can your TV do LPCM? we don't have any bit-stream loseless solution yet and I can't confirm that with you.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbadalucco /forum/post/14225793

For now my main concern is having the ability to take the DTS HD or Dolby True HD audio and downconvert it into something my TV can handle, I don't have a receiver as it would be too much in my small apartment. Are you saying that if I purchased the 4850 it along with PDVD 8 would enconde the audio into something my TV could handle?[/QUOTE

can your TV do LPCM? we don't have any bit-stream loseless solution yet and I can't confirm that with you.

Not sure on my TV's capabilities...sounds like I should just buy a receiver soon.

Thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts