AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since nuking and paving my HTPC and re-installing all the software I noticed that Power DVD's default setting for the video color is "vivid" which I can tell you doesn’t look good at all on my Barco 808s and 106" screen! What are the best settings for the color? Using the movie theater mode or default or custom setting?

·
Registered
988 Posts
FWIW, I started with the default PC settings, got my PJ set up as best I could, then used PowerDVD's settings to fine tune. It possibly doesn't matter exactly where you start, but I figured I'd let the baseline be the PC default settings for PowerDVD and the video card (in my case, Radeon 7200).

I first adjusted the PJ for the best picture to get good color, contrast and black levels, then resorted to PowerDVD/Radeon settings for the final tweaks to get good gamma and gray scale. It takes a few iterations to understand exactly what the system is capable of and which parameters on the various components to tweak. For that reason, I think it's best to consider the default output of your PC as the standard video signal to tweak to. That may not be a correct assumption, but in lieu of any direct evidence that the signal from the HTPC is out of whack --it's going to take some calibrated electronic measurements of the PC's video signal to determine exactly what it's putting out-- it's probably a reasonable assumption to start your adjustments.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Darrel, I will give that a try.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.