Hi everyone

Some-one asked me a viable question as follows;-

When the Z1 is put on standby after use, the fan carries on

running for 25 mins (approx) in order to cool the unit and

especially the bulb down.

If you had a power cut, or your fuse box tripped (due to another

electrical item blowing its fuse) then you would have no power to

your fan to cool down the bulb, which would then rise in

temperature and blow the bulb at £200.00 +.

Has anyone any experience of this ?

Some-one else suggested using a U.P.S. system (Uninterupted

Power Supply) between the Z1 and the power socket so that a

back-up power supply could feed the Z1 for long enough to

cool down the bulb in the unfortunate event of power failure

during use.

Help regarding this and details of U.P.S. system sellers appreciated.

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
Apparently you want a UPS that outputs true sine waves (not square approximation sine waves). This rules out the budget UPS systems sold in most "cheap" computer stores. I don't know the model numbers for the APC brand offhand. This has been discussed before in this forum, so a search is in order...

·
Registered
366 Posts
Are you sure it takes aprox 25 min for the fan to go off? I think the fan on mine goes off after about 10 minutes maybe even less.

Dennis

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No i'm not sure mate it was the guy in the shop that said that, i haven't got the pj yet.

I just don't want to run the risk of the bulb blowing if i lost power to the pj & the fan could not cool it down.

Do you think this could happen or have you heard of it happening?

·
Registered
904 Posts
Just the other day my cat turned off all power to my Z1 (unit was on) by walking on the on/off switch on the powerstrip..

Didn't do no damage..I didn't expect it to.. Lucky?..could be, but I wouldn't lose sleep if it happens again..

Think about it..

when the power is disrupted,...

The projector lamp temperature is still going to decrease rapidly since the bulb is not illuminated..

Although the power was suddenly disrupted, the fan(s) will still have "momentum" and that should be enough to cool the lamp to a safe temperature..

I'll admit.. This is my first projector and I'm still learning, but I would feel that most bulbs would fail at intial power-up or during operation and not during shutdown(accidental or not)...

Has anyone had a bulb fail during an accidental shutdown?

·
Registered
366 Posts
I think it is not a good idea to turn all the power off to the projector before the fan switches off. But if it happens once or twice by accident I wouldn't loose too much sleep over it.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
I agree this isn't a huge worry. But at the same time, I would say the momentum of the fan after an outage is not going to be enough to cool anything down either. It's going to cool naturally, just not as quickly and not as well.

Mark

·
Registered
56 Posts
Guys, don't forget that Z1 has 5 cooling fans inside and they cooling down LCD panels as well. I heard from Sanyo service here in Moscow, that accidental power off can easily cause panels heating up to extreme temperatures which can cause pixel damage and shortens lamp life extensively or sometimes immediately.

IMHO, buying the unit which worth 1500 USD it is not an issue to spend extra 50 for UPS.

I have APC CS 475VA - it can stay on batteries up to 20 minutes with 290 W load. By the way cooling time is about 90 sec. - 2 min. on Z1.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.