AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought an NR-616 about six months ago and was having occasional issues with the HDMI TV port. It took three months for the receiver to stop working.....no TV signal. I returned the unit and replaced it with a brand new NR-616. Three months, almost to the day, same problem. I worked with product support for a couple of hours and they were unable to remedy the issue. I returned that piece and bought an NR-717. Two weeks after hook-up I am having power problems. I power the receiver on and it shuts off five seconds later. Called product support and was told to unplug the HDMI cable and shut off electricity to the receiver for at least an hour. I left it off for eight hours. Tried to power on the receiver....no luck. Shuts off five seconds later. Anyone experience the same problem? Or, am I just lucky to have three defective Onkyo receivers in a row?

·
Registered
799 Posts
Sorry to hear about your issues.

Built quality today don't seem to be as good as just a few years ago. I have seen so many products fail it's not even funny.

With that being said , I strongly suggest a good quality surge protector with voltage stabilization. This will at least help with issues from power going up and down. Electronics are prone to fail due to brown outs more so then over voltage. HDMI however fails with just a touch of over voltage.

Check out Panamax.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantis10  /t/1471173/power-issue#post_23277486

Sorry to hear about your issues.

Built quality today don't seem to be as good as just a few years ago. I have seen so many products fail it's not even funny.

With that being said , I strongly suggest a good quality surge protector with voltage stabilization. This will at least help with issues from power going up and down. Electronics are prone to fail due to brown outs more so then over voltage. HDMI however fails with just a touch of over voltage.

Check out Panamax.
Great point, all my equipment operates on Panamax power conditioner/surge protectors, maybe thats why I have never experienced a failure. I just sorta forget about that as its S O P in my setups.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts