AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently built a full marty, and a martycube both with a SI HT18 with 4 ohm dual voice coil. I have them wired in series for 8 ohms, and they are each connected to one input on the iNuke6000DSP. I am just a bit confused about the power limiting for these.

On the Stereo Integrity page, it says the drivers are rated at 660W RMS, while at 8 ohms at full power the iNuke is said to be able to deliver 1100W to each channel. Does this mean that if the iNuke is outputting full power (the red light is on to indicate clipping) that there would be damage happening to the driver, or would that only happen if it is at full power for a sustained period of time?

Btw, thank you all for the tutorials that are posted around the forum for the Marty series of subwoofers, I wouldn't have been able to get them built without all the help from the original posts, as well as the great questions and answers!

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I recently built a full marty, and a martycube both with a SI HT18 with 4 ohm dual voice coil. I have them wired in series for 8 ohms, and they are each connected to one input on the iNuke6000DSP. I am just a bit confused about the power limiting for these.

On the Stereo Integrity page, it says the drivers are rated at 660W RMS, while at 8 ohms at full power the iNuke is said to be able to deliver 1100W to each channel. Does this mean that if the iNuke is outputting full power (the red light is on to indicate clipping) that there would be damage happening to the driver, or would that only happen if it is at full power for a sustained period of time?

Btw, thank you all for the tutorials that are posted around the forum for the Marty series of subwoofers, I wouldn't have been able to get them built without all the help from the original posts, as well as the great questions and answers!
The power rating on the SI's is due to their extremely compliant suspension. Plenty of people here run HT18s at 1100watts, but make sure you model it out to verify you won't hit excursion limits in your own specific application.

Is the box ported or sealed, what size, and what is it tuned to (if ported)?

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
He built a full Marty, and a Marty Cube
Did you build them to the specs in that thread?

You'll need to setup a High Pass filter, and you'll have to limit the cube more, so if they are both running off 1 channel you will be limiting the extension the Full Marty can give you.
Can you run them on seperate channels, or is that how they ARE already- a little confusing the way you wrote that.
If they ARE already on seperate channels, running different HP filters for each(dual mono on the 3K- never saw the 6K software) will get you the extension you want on the Full Marty, and will keep the Cube running safe.
The HP for the Full is around 15-17, with the cube being ~ 2hz higher I think, but best to check the original post....I haven't modeled them in awhile, and never saved the model.

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
At 1100 watts:
Both seem to be fine with a 16HZ High Pass filter, but you can ask in the main thread.

BTW, I'm NOT saying to dump 1100watts into the HT-18, just that many are dumping that much into them, and if the sub can handle the heat, the excursion will be limited with the HPF...

Edit: The High Pass I used is a Butterworth 12db (2nd)

Reactions: vitod

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I apologize for badly wording that. What I meant is that they are on seperate inputs to the iNuke, so I can set the filter settings seperately.

I do currently have it set up as LTD02 suggested in another thread. Avsforum doesn't let me add links until the next message so I'll link it in a reply. So I do have a high pass filter in place, and I also have the added 4dB of to compensate for the high pass.

Both subs are built to the specs in the main MartySub Faq thread, and are the ported versions.

I guess it seems that from what you guys are suggesting the power limiting is done by the filters, rather than there being a seperate value for limiting power regardless of the filter settings (I guess I figured it would be as simple as setting max output at ~660W at 8Ohms).

I do not have an SPL gauge yet, so I haven't been able to test how the tuning actually came out, but I will be getting one in a month or two, and just wanted to make sure I'm not damaging the subwoofer before I get that and tune it properly.

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
IDoes this mean that if the iNuke is outputting full power (the red light is on to indicate clipping) that there would be damage happening to the driver, or would that only happen if it is at full power for a sustained period of time?

Actual impedance of the sub will be higher than 8 ohm over much of its range, so even with the amp maxed out, you're not necessarily putting 1000W into the driver. And real content, music and movies, has lots of peaks and drops in output, so you are not continuously putting full power in it.

With that said, if you played sine waves long enough at full power at the right frequency, you could melt the driver. But you could probably melt it with less than the RMS power doing that, if you let it cook long enough.

So essentially, don't worry about, an HT18 at 8 ohm can handle what that amp can throw at it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts