AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a search using the phrase "power line conditioner " and came up with 0 hits.

What seems to be the consensus here?

Necessary (strongly recommended)

Unnecessary (waste of money)

If you recommend, which ones should I be looking at and why?

Harley

·
Registered
197 Posts
Lots of differing opinions regarding this subject. I would say if you can pony up the cash, something like the PS Audio Power Plant 1000 would be awesome, since it would be regenerating your wall AC current into perfectly balanced and pristine 120 volt power. I only have the Monster HTPS 7000, but it has significantly reduced my noise floor.

I also hear Richard Grey's Power Company products are exemplary as well.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I currently have a Monster HTS 5100 and it has a LCD readout with the current voltage and amperage, when I turn on my plasma the voltage drops 3 to 5 Volts and this bothers me, so this is my first day investigating the benefits of a true line conditioner as opposed to a fancy surge protector.

Harley

·
Premium Member
3,832 Posts
Try searching for 'power conditioner'... I got a ton of hits. The tweaks area of the forum is a good source of info about this (if you feel that power conditioning is worthwhile).

·
Registered
479 Posts
I'll second the PSA PD 4.7....I can't comment on if it widens my soundstage, lowers my floor noise, or makes my video look better but it does what it is advertised to do (filtering, surge protection, plugs, etc...) If you are looking at one of these spending the money on a PD will probably be less than 5-10% of your gear...is that worth the the protection? The remote is a big plus too.

-sonny

·
Registered
198 Posts
just out of question... r there any line conditioners in the $300 and under range that u guys would recomend?

·
Registered
435 Posts
I'll third the Power Director and add on a PS Audio Power Plant like the ones I use in my system. Also, please check out ExactPower.

Exact Power EP 15A

Ken

·
Registered
197 Posts
Yes, I have heard very good things about ExactPower (probably because you brought them to my attention, Ken!). Jok_K, under $300 you can get the Monster Power HTS 3500 or HTS 2600 from www.soundpros.com. I have the 2600 and it's a decent little unit - although I only use it to power my xbox, ps2, gamecube, and amp fans now.

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
Another vote for the 2600 in that price class. I also solved a nasty ground loop problem by (among other things) running my sat cable through it...

·
Registered
162 Posts
Adcom offers two surge protectors/AC line conditioners, both that utilize series mode surge protection. Doug Deacon has posted extensively on this forum about their products, it converted me from the Monster camp. They also have protection for coax and phone lines as well. This post gives a lot more information than I have:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...76#post2421176

You'll never have to worry about your components suffering surge damage ever again, and hey, AC line conditioning too.

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Fur sure use a line conditioner in your system. Bennies: less noise, some surge protection from lightening and static charge build-up, better picture from your projector.

http://www.exactpower.com/ the only way to go.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Panamax 5300 here also bought at ************** have come home from work like 3 times now and tv has lost power only thing in the house I guess it is working

·
Registered
807 Posts
I'm using an APC SmartUPS 1500. Runs everything: HTPC, LCD-RPTV, Receiver, VCR, STB. Picture looks great, can't hear any noise from the speakers unless I put my ear right up to them.

-Rob-

·
Registered
24 Posts
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.