AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have very recently been considering the addition of a power line conditioner to my home theater set up. I have only a single circuit running to the place where EVERYTHING is plugged in, and over the past 4 years have noticed significant background hum and pops at various points, including an almost-guaranteed pop out of the audio system when turning on the ceiling fan in the room. I also experience significant snow on the lower-numbered OTA NTSC channels (none of which shows up on OTA HDTV or DirecTV signals).

About a month ago the power supply on my Pioneer Elite burned out. Pioneer has agreed (despite the set being slightly out of warranty) to replace the part. My thought it to do whatever I can to protect my overall set-up, just in case bad power or surges have something to do with my recent problems (first video convergence board went, then power supply....).

I have a 100w Elite A/V receiver, a powered subwoofer, a DVD player, DirecTV with TiVo, VCR player, DTC100, and the Elite RPTV all running out of the same circuit. I have little or no real electronics experience, and thus am not sure what I am doing.

Here is my question: Is a power line conditioner likely to help with my problem? The description on things such as PS Audio's Power Plants states that in some cases it may make things worse. I really really wanted to find a solution in the $300 to $500 range, and a power plant looks to be quite a ways out of that, especially given the number of components involved.

Any advice on what I should be doing here?

·
Registered
733 Posts

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm seeing a lot of kudos for the Monster HTPS7000, but what about something lower-end, like the Monster HTS5000 or HTS5100. The 5000 can be had for a pretty good price right now. In various reviews I am either seeing very happy users or very disappointed users. Any info on this?

·
Registered
413 Posts
BTDT:

if supression of power surges is your main concern, the most honest recommendation I can give you is go try the Brickwall devices. I mean the 20A, audiophile-grade ones.
http://www.brickwall.com/

I live in a small province town of a developing country, where the "quality" of the AC power is just a Joke, to say the very least. The "quality" of the power here is so lousy, particularly in terms of the frequency and intensity of surges, that I bet we are talking Guinness Book of Records here. This very fact has made me invest, through time, in nearly any brand/model of power conditioner out there.

Based on my (destructive) experiences, I can tell you that there is only ONE surge suppressor that has been able to withstands the severe disturbances I experience here: Brickwall. Protection-wise, forget about Furman, Panamax, API, Tice,or whatever.

Another good thing about the Brickwalls is that they are well within your intended budget.

I also own PS Audio Power Plants as well as Richard Gray conditioners, but all of them downstream of the Brickwalls, in a cascading scheme (Brickwalls plugged into the wall outlet, Richard Grays plugged into the Brickwalls, Power Plants plugged into the Richard Grays).

The Power Plants are not a suitable option to you because:

1) High cost.

2) Protection level not even near that of the Brickwalls.

3) High power consumption (500W). Since the Power Plants re-generate fresh AC power (taking the crude power out of the wall outlet as "raw material"), they are pretty inefficient energy-conservation-wise. Each Power Plant you plug into your circuit will increase in 500W the demand over your wiring; which is not a desirable thing in your particular case.

My honest advise: give Brickwall due consideration.

J.V.

·
Registered
842 Posts

2) Protection level not even near that of the Brickwalls.

I disagree on this one. PS audio power plants are absolutely

fully isolated input to output. Any surge or spike or whatever that

can jump across this unit would destroy just about anything else

that was not fully isolated.

·
Registered
277 Posts
quote 3

3) High power consumption (500W). Since the Power Plants re-generate fresh AC power (taking the crude power out of the wall outlet as "raw material"), they are pretty inefficient energy-conservation-wise. Each Power Plant you plug into your circuit will increase in 500W the demand over your wiring; which is not a desirable thing in your particular case.

Not exactally. Power plants will use 1.5 times what they generate, so if you are using generating 120 watts, you are using 180 watts. Remember just cause the unit might be rated at 400 or 700 watts doesn't mean that you are using all of that power.

Right now I am running TiVo, an SCD777es, an ARC RefI preamp and I am using less than 120 watts on my power plant. I have my amp plugged into the wall through an ultimate outlet.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.