AVS Forum banner

41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
I think the fear that a modern mid priced AVR can't handle something rated near 4 ohms even at high SPLs is misplaced.

Glad the OP found a nice inexpensive solution for his speakers.
That will work well, not heard anything bad about the Dayton,

I just think it is weird that a speaker touted to be for beginners is 4 ohms--just bad engineering IMHO. Works great for marketing, you can use the sensitivity rating at 2.83V into a 4 ohm speaker so it won't look so bad--and hide the 3dB loss in efficiency against true 85dB efficient 8 ohm speakers at best buy--sounds the same efficiency!

A friend of mine has a nephew that received an AVR for Christmas--now the single guy has surround fever. I was asked if his rather basic AVR would have any issues with the Pioneer AJ 6 ohm speakers--checked them, recalculated the specs at around 84dB and noted the 6 ohms. He is single so I am assuming he might actually want some SPL on occasion. Told him to get the Fluance SX6 8 ohm speakers, 89dB efficient and 5" woofers. Cost a little more, they are larger but much higher efficiency, better bass response and true 8 ohm impedance will let his AVR run as cool as possible.

Once he realized the AJ Pioneers would require 3 times the power of the Fluance speakers, then it sunk in. He just wants a basic multi-channel system, nothing too wild but prefers to run it for many years and be done with it.

Or so he thinks... hope it works for him out of the box and he is content. If not, then the RP160 might be in his future and I'll book him on the flight down the rabbit hole. :cool:

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
That will work well, not heard anything bad about the Dayton,

I just think it is weird that a speaker touted to be for beginners is 4 ohms--just bad engineering IMHO. Works great for marketing, you can use the sensitivity rating at 2.83V into a 4 ohm speaker so it won't look so bad--and hide the 3dB loss in efficiency against true 85dB efficient 8 ohm speakers at best buy--sounds the same efficiency!

A friend of mine has a nephew that received an AVR for Christmas--now the single guy has surround fever. I was asked if his rather basic AVR would have any issues with the Pioneer AJ 6 ohm speakers--checked them, recalculated the specs at around 84dB and noted the 6 ohms. He is single so I am assuming he might actually want some SPL on occasion. Told him to get the Fluance SX6 8 ohm speakers, 89dB efficient and 5" woofers. Cost a little more, they are larger but much higher efficiency, better bass response and true 8 ohm impedance will let his AVR run as cool as possible.

Once he realized the AJ Pioneers would require 3 times the power of the Fluance speakers, then it sunk in. He just wants a basic multi-channel system, nothing too wild but prefers to run it for many years and be done with it.

Or so he thinks... hope it works for him out of the box and he is content. If not, then the RP160 might be in his future and I'll book him on the flight down the rabbit hole. :cool:
I don't know if I'd say the Uni-Fis are for beginners, they're affordably priced, but they're also just incredibly well designed speakers that punch way above their price point.

I like that they're 4ohm impedance - it means that if I pair them with an amp capable of driving 4ohms I effectively get twice (or near to it) the output that I would compared to an 8ohm speaker.

·
Registered
5 Posts
hey all - new to the forum and have enjoyed reading these posts.

i just bought some Elac UB5s. For an amp, I got a Marantz PM6005 on sale. After reading this I am concerned it will not have enough power for the Elacs?

"With 8-ohm speakers, the PM6005 is rated at 45 watts per channel; with 4-ohm speakers, it is rated at 60 watts per channel."

Did I make a mistake?! :confused:

·
Registered
21,464 Posts
hey all - new to the forum and have enjoyed reading these posts.

i just bought some Elac UB5s. For an amp, I got a Marantz PM6005 on sale. After reading this I am concerned it will not have enough power for the Elacs?

"With 8-ohm speakers, the PM6005 is rated at 45 watts per channel; with 4-ohm speakers, it is rated at 60 watts per channel."

Did I make a mistake?! :confused:
Probably not.

Just monitor the heat of the AVR and if it seems to bet very hot there could be a problem but I'm guessing you will be fine.

My AVR runs 10 degrees above ambient air temperature using a laser thermometer.

If I lower the crossovers from 80hz to 60hz for my fronts it gets 20 degrees above ambient which is still not hot at all.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for the response. I am using the Marantz PM6005 to replace a Denon AVR-2308CI. I assumed the Denon wouldn't be adequate since it doesn't have a 4-ohm rating, but it does push more watts to 8 ohms than the Marantz. (100 x 7 over 8 ohm)

Obviously I can and will test the Denon before opening the Marantz - but does anyone have thoughts on using the Denon? Could it actually be a better "fit" for the Elac UB5s?

If it matters, the speakers and amp are being used solely to play records from my turntable (i.e. no TV or computer or other sources).

·
Registered
21,464 Posts
Thanks for the response. I am using the Marantz PM6005 to replace a Denon AVR-2308CI. I assumed the Denon wouldn't be adequate since it doesn't have a 4-ohm rating, but it does push more watts to 8 ohms than the Marantz. (100 x 7 over 8 ohm)

Obviously I can and will test the Denon before opening the Marantz - but does anyone have thoughts on using the Denon? Could it actually be a better "fit" for the Elac UB5s?

If it matters, the speakers and amp are being used solely to play records from my turntable (i.e. no TV or computer or other sources).
I'm sure the Denon would be fine as well.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
The Denon should be fine

The difference between the two might show up with running really high outputs for a long period of time. Run the Denon for a few hours at levels slightly higher than "normal" and put your hand on the thing to check for heat. If the thing shuts down and goes into protect mode, that is not a good sign or if the thing cooks your hand--then time to upgrade.

Make sure your AVR/amp has plenty of cooling and it should be fine as long as not attempting rock concert levels. Enjoy your new speakers.

·
Registered
15 Posts
But an 85 dB sensitivity rating is the norm for 2-way speakers with a 5-1/4 driver. Since I select speakers based upon the sound qualities that I’m looking for, I tend to worry about sensitivity ratings in relationship to my gear already on hand (or what I’m willing to buy) and the volume levels I want to attain. If I find a speaker with a higher sensitivity rating and don’t like the sound. What’s the point? And for whatever reason (I don’t have a clue as to why), the speakers I’m sonically attracted to and have purchased happen to have fairly low sensitivity. I wonder if there is a pill for that :).
With a minimum of 80 watts per channel, my Elac UB5's sound very good. with a 120 wpc amp, even better at any volume.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
With a minimum of 80 watts per channel, my Elac UB5's sound very good. with a 120 wpc amp, even better at any volume.

Old thread, but yes. The more power you give them, the better they sound as they come more alive dynamically with a beefier amp.

Even at low volumes this is noticeable. It's not always about sounding better at higher volumes, especially with a speaker like this.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Rockin a $299 Pioneer AVR with the center and two bookshelves and all go for me. Even with gave bipole surrounds and Atmos on ceiling

41 - 50 of 50 Posts