AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

I'm running Windows XP as a server/HTPC and would like to turn it off when not using it. The computer is not easily accessible so I would like to know if there is some way to turn it into s3 or s4 from turning off the main power I mean the 220V or 110V depending on where you are living. The PC should of course still have power to go into s3/s4 (and stay there for s3).

So I'm thinking is there perhaps some weird USB adapter or LAN for this that enable me to use the wake on lan or wake on usb function?

Am I missing something are there better ways to save power when not using the server/HTPC?

Thanks for your advice :)

·
Registered
615 Posts
Are you asking how to get your PC to go into S3 and wake it up remotely?

There are WOL utilities that can wake the machine remotely from another device, and you can simply use the Suspend/Sleep timer to enter S3 once properly configured. If you have a hard time getting your computer to enter S3, first make sure it's enabled in your BIOS [S3 = STR (Suspend to RAM)], then download MCE Standby Tool, which will take the hard work out of S3 setup.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Create a scheduled task to run the shutdown.exe command (you'll need to figure out the proper switches) to shut it down at a certain time. The go into the BIOS and udner the power management section enable RTC to turn on your PC at a certain time.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks again for the answer, but I think you misunderstood me. I want to turn the pc into S3/S4 by pressing a AC power connection, not remotely from another computer.

Even though I think this will be how I'm going to do it, as my problem perhaps is to obscure :)

·
Registered
23,131 Posts
The PC will be OFF if you do that. S3 (Suspend to Ram) requires power to maintain it's state, and S4 (Hybernate IIRC) requires power to be able to save it's state. About the only thing that could potentially work is if you had a UPS in between, then the loss of power signal would cause it to hybernate, but then it would never wake up because the UPS would probably never be depleated.

·
Registered
23,131 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by koger /forum/post/15471979

Thanks for your suggestion, problem is that I don't when I'll done using the computer, so I can't schedule it

But you can set Windows to go into S3 after x minutes of inactivity, or you can manually stick it in S3 from the Start Menu->Shutdown. Same with S4. And if configured right, you can wake the PC from S3 with the keyboard or mouse.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nope, because I don't want to switch the AC plug that powers the PC, but rather the AC that a USB device connected to the computer would monitor. And when it detected that the AC was gone it would put the pc into standby.

This would be handy as it would allow me to switch off other devices like the TV, printer etc at the same time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.