AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this, but...

I've had a PS Audio Power Plant (p600 and p300) for about a year now, with my HDTV, power amps, and sub plugged into the P600 using the ps2 multiwave setting. I had to use the ps2 setting because the SS1 setting made my subwoofers power supply rattle like crazy. Now, thanks to my not-so-quiet fan in my HD-100 STB, I don't notice the subs power supply noise so much if I use SS1, which I prefer on my p300 with the preamp, DVD, and STB.

Well, immediatley I noticed a great improvement in overall sharpness on my set, and an improvement in definition from the amps, so I'm happy. But now I notice that the convergence has been going out of whack fairly regularly, and I've gotten some new geometry errors that I didn't notice so much before. I also had to recalibrate for color.

So my question is whether or not changing from ps2 to ss1 on the power plant could cause all of these things to happen on a set that has been used to ps2? Is it possible that the components burn in or adjust to the mutiwave setting and then have to readjust again to the new setting?

Or, as I fear is my set beginning to show warning signs of failure? It's a Sony 61HS10 set that is about 8 months old.

Any insight is appreciated,

--JD

·
Registered
548 Posts
RPTV's (all video components) respond best to balanced power and parallel filtering. I'm looking into the www.b-p-t.com BP2 Ultra (Chris is going to upgrade the footers to brass cones...$30 extra) along with a parallel filter I designed (in parallel not series at the main ac outlet). The filter had excellent results with my old Pioneer RPTV...it's killer on my new NEC 42MP3 plasma. The picture looks like your looking out a window...great stuff!!!

·
Registered
22,304 Posts
Your RPTV surely has internal cooling fans, and the PS Audio literature warns you not to use any Multiwave settings with such a component, except

for straight 60 Hz sinewave, or the PS2 Multiwave.

This is why I use a separate Power Plant for my Dwin HD-700 CRT projector, so I can use the PS2 Multiwave setting.

I had a balanced API Power Wedge power conditioner for my projector before, and believe me, the PS Audio Power Plant, especially with Multiwave PS2, is MUCH BETTER!

But your RPTV probably has a draw of about 300 watts give or take. The P300 will be current limiting, and you probably don't wanna spend for

a P600 for it. So you might want to consider a BPT power conditioner for your RPTV - or you might just decide what's more important, your audio or your video, and if video, set the P600 back to PS2!

·
Registered
22,304 Posts
I tried a P300 with my prior Dwin HD-500 CRT projector. Initially, I luved it, but after 5-6 days, I felt the picture improvement was going backwards. And the Dwin only is rated at about 200 watts power consumption. No such problem using the P600. My theory is that there is instaneous higher current draw given peak whites and that the P300 over time was limiting current - same applies to any front CRT Projector!!!! I recommend the P600 for a front CRT projector.

·
Registered
108 Posts
So I was thinking of using a P600 to power my 53" Sony RPTV as well as the following:

Toshiba SD-5109 DVD -- 23W

TiVo -- 40W

Marantz AV-9000 Preamp -- 55W

AudioReQuest ARQ MP3 -- ??W (guessing 40W)

Generic Instruments Digital Cable box -- ??W

However it sounds like devices with fans cause problems with various multiwave modes...which means I'll have to cut out the RPTV and ARQ from the P600. Without the RPTV and ARQ the total power consumption is 120W which is perfect for the P300.

So what about plugging the RPTV into a PS Audio Ultimate Outlet? They provide balanced power and the 15A version is $299. A P300 + Ultimate Outlet is way less than a P600.

As a side note I have 5 180W peak Marantz MA-500 mono-block amps. So the peak of 5x180 => 900W peak. If I went the P300 + Ultimate Outlet I could plug the amps into the Ultimate Outlet as well.

What do you think the right thing is in this sitaution?

Ryan

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.