AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I've done numerous searches and read and read and read. What I've determined is that ultimately I will have dedicated circuits for all of my equipment but I can't do that right now. So as an interim measure, I would like to purchase a relatively inexpensive line conditioner (wondering if the ups plugged into the wall and the line conditioner plugged into the UPS is a horrible idea or not). I have all of my DirecTivos attached to APC UPSs right now.

What I need to know is I've just purchased a $7k display, what is the least expensive line conditioner that I can get away with? I'm really not wanting to spend more than $300 on this right now.

·
Registered
75 Posts
llogan,

Someone mentioned in an earlier thread that a high performance, but inexpensive power line conditioner was the Elgar 6000B. They were very expensive new, but can be had cheap on the used market. They are basically lab grade equipment. They don't just filter the power, they actually generate it.

Here's a couple on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=1738497269

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=1738497766

The last one of these I was watching sold on ebay for $120. But count on $60 or more for shipping -- these things weigh about 90 lbs!!!!

Also, they are not suited to live in your theater room unless you have a closet, as the fans are quite loud. Not sure if your UPS will have enough power to run one of these -- better check the current requirements.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Llogan,

I use a couple of products put out by PS Audio. I also previously used a conditioner made by Monster (which I did not like and was sold to a friend who REALLY likes it.)

For power conditioning I use the 20 amp Ultimate Outlet for my amp. Then I use a P600 (which is a power regenerator) for all of my front end equipment (minus my TV and TiVo which is plugged directly into the wall).

I really like the way my system sounds with the UO.

The Monster unit was the 2500 and it did nothing for me. However a friend of mine living in San Francisco said that the unit did wonders for his system.

I did have both my TiVo and TV plugged into the UO (along with my front end stuff) and I really liked the quality of the picture (much improved), however if I am forced to choose between great audio or great video, I will choose great audio. I did not want to share the same device with the tv because of subtle interference on the audio side.

In my experimenting with my home theater system (all parasound stuff) plugging the TV and TiVo did not degrade audio there.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
21,720 Posts
In the $300 to $400 price range, you might find a used API Power Wedge 111 with a 600 watt balanced isolated circuit for video, and with four

filtered but unbalanced outlets that you would normally plug amplifiers into but in this case you could plug other components therein. This would give

you better video primarily - but in my experience of course the PS Audio Power Plants are the best for video but often too expensive or power inefficient for many consumers.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I went ahead with Brickwalls 8outlet audio unit, bought two of them for $194.00 a piece. I'm going to wait on the line conditioner for now.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.