AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There seems to be a lot of confustion/misinformation about the power regulation needs of a home theater. So what do you have in yours?

--nw

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I have only a surge protector. I don't think my money would be well spent on those other things.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I have a surge protector and UPS. The UPS is connected to the HTPC and Dish DVR only, though, as it can't hang with the audio equipment.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I used to just use a power strip surge protector. But I kept getting a fizzled picture on the TV whenever anything happened electrically in my apt. Got a Monster Power center (mid-level component type) and never see any such effects any more. It's great.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Of course, the reason I'm posting this is because my theater is under a month away from going live... and I want to make sure I'm not putting my equipment at risk.

At this point, I'm leaning towards a respectable brand outlet strip as the starting point, and upgrading if the need presents itself. If this poll reveals a larger percentage going with something more, i'll consider it.

Already I'm surprised with the number of people using voltage regulators and UPS's.

--nw

·
Registered
804 Posts
My one and only monster device, is a power conditioner, I only got it because i stole it (figuratively, not literally).

·
Registered
807 Posts
I'm using a UPS, in part because power failures would kill the lamp in my LCD RPTV, in part because there is also a home theater PC (and they don't take kindly to getting power yanked either). With the frequent mini-outtages in my previous residence it was well worth the money.

-Rob-

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson
The APC S-15 has all those components, so I checked them all. ;-)

Kal

You have your whole house running through it? Impressive... :p

--nw

·
Registered
30,760 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowonder
You have your whole house running through it? Impressive... :p

--nw
Ya got me! No, only the system is on the S-15 but I also have a whole house device in the breaker box.

Kal

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
You forgot None of the above

I personally do not use any type of surge protection on my system. (well not intentionally that power strip I use may have a MOV in it) For starters I live in an area of very low lightning. Also all comsumer electronics have to pass basic high voltage transient immunity so they already have MOV's in them.

I prefer to rely on a good home owners insurance policy, mine covers my equipment if it is damaged by power surges or lightning (as long as I did not cause them myself)

Sure, I love my current system but I would not shed too many tears if lightning struck my house and my insurance bought me a shinny new system. ;)

·
Registered
15,247 Posts
Whole house and point of use devices.

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
Surge suppressor on the electronics (not the amps or subs). UPS on the TV for bulb cool-down.

Will go to a whole-house suppressor at some point.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I just use Richrd Gray's Power Company the 600S for my home theatre front ends and 400s for my Video equipments. As for the amps I plug them directly to the wall.

They work fine for now, and I never have any problems with the electricity damaging my equipments.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.