AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks, didnt see a forum related to power management. im just looking for a way to protect my home theater components from surges/spikes. 50" plasma, ps3, onkyo reciever, sat box, etc....

would this do the trick?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Rocketfi...=ups&cp=1&lp=1

·
Registered
43 Posts
There are many differing opinions on this subject. First question would be what power issues you are actually experiencing. Next, have you considered using a whole house surge available at you local home Depot / Lowes and installed by an electrician? Do you really need battery back up? The unit listed does not specify, but I guess it's converting DC to AC and out putting what is called a modified sine wave as oppose to a true sine wave. This is discuss somewhat in the Audio theory, Setup and Chat thread.

I used a Monster 3500 MKII that I got at a way below MSRP, however it mostly for piece of mind as I don't have any real power issues. It looks good I guess. Anyway, Go with the least expensive solution to whatever problem you actually have.

Sorry couldn't be of more help.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
That's a good price for an 825.

I bought this:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ef=oss_product

It's a Cyberpower CP1500AVRLCD UPS (1500va).

It will allow my TiVo to continue recording for a little over an hour in the event of a power outage. I have most of my system on it, but not all on the battery backup... just the surge protection.

The critical things are on UPS, like the TiVo, ESATA storage, BD player (mechanical), receiver and network hub. TV is not as its power draw is far too great.

shane

·
Registered
8,151 Posts
also looking for a UPS for my entertainment center.

Looking at the J15BLK for a LONG time, yet to pull the trigger but because of certain factors I might very soon:

http://www.amazon.com/APC-12-Outlet-.../ref=de_a_smtd

I like that there is more than enough power to give to my Tivo to keep recording if necessary, plus power my router and cable modem, and even my game system if I don't want to suddenly drop out. I have this setup:

Pioneer 5010-FD

Pioneer BDP51-FD

Pioneer SC-05 Receiver

TivoHD

PS3

Wii

Subwoofer

Cable Modem

Router

So that's 10 components I would like all plugged into the same power center if possible. I'd just like them all on the same circuit, protected and all running with my option to shut down certain things if necessary, but still give me time to do it gracefully.

Anyone have opinions? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,495 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_scott /forum/post/18321077

Looking at the J15BLK for a LONG time, yet to pull the trigger but because of certain factors I might very soon:

http://www.amazon.com/APC-12-Outlet-.../ref=de_a_smtd

I like that there is more than enough power to give to my Tivo to keep recording if necessary, plus power my router and cable modem, and even my game system if I don't want to suddenly drop out. I have this setup:

Pioneer 5010-FD

Pioneer BDP51-FD

Pioneer SC-05 Receiver

TivoHD

PS3

Wii

Subwoofer

Cable Modem

Router

So that's 10 components I would like all plugged into the same power center if possible. I'd just like them all on the same circuit, protected and all running with my option to shut down certain things if necessary, but still give me time to do it gracefully.

Similar setup to mine.

Pio 60" KRP-600m

Pio SC-07

Tivo HD

Oppo BD-83

SVS Sub

Router - Hub

No game machines.

With the Monitor on, I have 7 minutes of battery time to shut everything down with my 1500 va UPS. Without the monitor I have well over an hour.

Everything is plugged into the UPS unit, but not everything is battery protected. The Sub is not, nor is the BD player. They are surge protected, but I don't feel it's necessary for gentle shut-down.

shane

·
Registered
610 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_scott /forum/post/18321077

http://www.amazon.com/APC-12-Outlet-J-Type-Conditioner-Battery/dp/tech-data/B000G5YO9W/ref=de_a_smtd

Pioneer 5010-FD

Pioneer BDP51-FD

Pioneer SC-05 Receiver

TivoHD

PS3

Wii

Subwoofer

Cable Modem

Router

I have had the silver version of this UPS for almost three years (black version was nowhere to be found at the time). It has worked great with no problems at all. At one time my entire HT system was connected to it including a large Hsu Subwoofer and it handled the load without a problem (later I removed the sub because it was relocated to another part of the room; a long way from the UPS).

Be careful when adding the current requirements of all your devices that will be on simultaneously. With your equipment list, you may overload the UPS, but most of the time everything is not on at the same time. Another thing to consider is that the published power requirements of each device will likely be the worst case number (on the high side). I found that the actual loads of my components where all considerably lower than specified, but I am sure that there are exceptions. Just be careful when sizing your UPS so that you do not overload it.

·
Registered
8,151 Posts
thanks guys!

On second thought, my Sub will probably not be plugged into it. It will most likely be too far away, and it's not a necessity.

Now I've been reading up on Sine Wave v. Stepped Sine Wave and it's got me worried. Seems like Sine is much better than Stepped for electronics...

Thoughts?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts