AVS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Not really sure if this is the right sub-forum for this question, but recently I've upgraded several key pieces and I'd like to ensure I protect it properly. I live in the USA, and overall have good power. The problem is that we experience frequent brown-outs and power surges so I feel more than a standard surge protector is required.

I started researching this early on and can't find that original thread.

This was one of the items I was considering:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00429N19W?pf_rd_r=7YY9PMG5TMXNSXE8S91D&pf_rd_p=edaba0ee-c2fe-4124-9f5d-b31d6b1bfbee

Key things I would like to protect:
  • Denon 3700H
  • LG 77C9 OLED
  • Xbox One X
  • Roku 4k
  • Chromecast 4k
  • Arris Cable Modem/Router
  • Cox Contour Box
  • Possible Dedicated Bluray Player (future)
  • AC Infinity T8 Cooling Fan (for Denon)(not sure power source, haven't yet ordered)
I do have ONE powered sub, but have heard NOT to put those on these type of devices because they draw too much power when they have hard bass hits.

I might add that I don't care about having time to run w/o power. That is not a concern. I just want to be able to shut down stuff without it popping off, then back on then right back off and so on.

Appreciate some guidance and education (and web links, lol). Thanks. :cool:

·
Registered
594 Posts
I run an older version of that ups in the same size with the following

Epson 3200
PS4
Pioneer SC-85
Record player
Chromecast
Amazon firestick
NES

The main Difference in my set up is my receiver has class d apps so they draw a constant power instead of a dynamic power based on music and the projection probably uses more power than o LED screen. Back when I had denon, a plasma and a smaller UPS I would overdrawn and everything would shutdown.

In your case the receiver and the TV are going to be your heavy items.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11,771 Posts
I really like my Panamax M5400-PM with voltage regulation.
https://www.panamax.com/product/max-5400-power-management-w-voltage-regulation-2ru-11-outlets-M5400-PM

I've used a Monster Power HTS 5100 mkII series twice in the past, but both only seemed to last about 5 years before dying. A friend of mine bought one too and his only lasted about 5 year.

So after those two short deaths, I went with a 'better' brand - Furman/Panamax. My local electronics repairman said he thought they were the best in the business right now (in normal consumer price range).

I always try to keep one in place for the same reasons you are suggesting. I was in my home theater when a lightning strike occurred, and I was watching a movie at the time. The power went out in the house, and I looked over at my Monster Power HTS 5100MK2, at the time the lights came back on. The LCD displayed about 280V briefly as incoming power on my 120 V line. The Monster Power went into protect mode and tripped. (it reset fine and continued to work) but I was glad my ~$3K in source equipment didn't see that temporary 280 V surge that tripped the Monster Power unit.

I like the continuous voltage regulation aspect of the M5400-PM too.

If you have it hooked up to a projector you might consider a true sine wave APC UPS. You can buy them super cheap used, and just buy a replacement battery back. Check out craiglists for them. I have had good luck with those too, and always have one on my PC. I got a 2200 VA APC UPS for about $200 with good batteries from a local surplus shop on craigslist. That's a 20 AMP capable UPS.

You can find any of this stuff for huge discounts off MSRP if you are willing to shop used:
I don't know this seller - but here's a unit for ~ $200 (Best buy sells it for $900, Amazon for $530 right now)
https://www.ebay.com/i/274411576845?chn=ps

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. Will research some of the stuff suggested.

Denon is 660 Watts. LG is around 370-380. Rest of stuff is fairly minor.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
772 Posts
The Xbox is probably a pretty big draw when it's running a game plus if it loses power when it's writing to the hard drive that could be bad. Cable tuners and modems use a surprising amount too but probably don't strictly need to be on the ups.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Don't forget there are two sides to these most of the time. One side battery backed up and one side just surge protected.

I would put the tv and anything with a HDD on the battery side for sure.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21 Posts
u can connect sub to a ups or a device.. it is active woofer..it has its own amplifier built-in.. so there wont be any problem..

·
Registered
615 Posts
Make sure you read the fine print on the Protection Policy.

Some state that ALL the equipment has to be connected to the surge protector.

For instance, if you have all your components plugged into the surge protector, but your sub isn't, and the sub outlet takes the hit, it can travel the sub cable to your receiver and wipe things out that way.

You could consider a single outlet surge protector for your sub if it's not close to your rack.

I have a Panamax that has worked amazing for years and years and that would be my choice.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Denon is 660 Watts. LG is around 370-380.
That's not too huge. Long ago my brother bought me an APC when I lost a couple of iMacs in a row to surges/brownouts. No problems since. And [email protected] pointed out, there are two sides, one with battery and one without. That said, Panamax seems to have a long running good reputation.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts