AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so i'm not sure where to post this.

I have a mobile sound system and I need to know the power requirements.

How many watts of electricity vs watts of sound. I've been advised that its not a 1 = 1 ratio. Perhaps some could enlighten me here?

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
You're not making a ton of sense, but I believe what you're looking for is the efficiency of an amp. Class AB amps are typically 40-50% efficient and Class D are typically 75-95% efficient.

·
Banned
324 Posts
While "Watts of electricity" and "Watts of sound" do refer to the same quantity of energy, amplifiers are nowhere near 100% efficient. If they are class D amps, figure on about 40% efficiency. If they're class AB, its more like 25%, and if they're class A you're looking at about 5-10% efficiency. This is of course a generalization, so your mileage may vary.

Another thing that may be worth investigating is the sensitivity of your speakers (the amount of SPL you get from one meter with one watt of energy). If they are high sensitivity speakers, you may find your average power usage to be much lower than the peak power the amp can put out.

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Nah, class AB is typically 40-45% man.. Take a look at LM3875 datasheet from www.national.com

But yes, it depends on the amp and speakers and room...

Edit: and class D is typically at least 75% efficient (some are up to 95% or so)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So i guess i'm safe with 2X the power generating ability to Max Sound Wattage. Thanks

Very helpful.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.