AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The advantage of power saver mode on a flat panel TV is that is save a few dollars monthly on electricity costs, with disadvantage of longer boot up.

However, in turning on power saving mode, is there also a cost in longevity of components? In other words, does the boot up from being more fully "off" put more initial stress on electronic components vs. the wear of components being hot more constantly?

A computer server can operate for years without being turned off and without hardware issues (even my TIVO does this!), but is theoretically engineered to do so. How about HDTVs though?

·
Registered
284 Posts
Heat is a major factor causing electronic failure so anything you can do to reduce heat will benefit in a longer life. Power save mode will reduce the power consumption in many circuits, resulting in lower energy use and lower operating temperature but also a dimmer picture. I like fans and believe that if many of these devices had fans and proper cooling they'd last much longer. I'm considering mounting two computer fans at the top edge of my tv and powering them with 6v rather than 12 so they run slower and quieter. My only problem is how to turn them on when the tv is on and off when it's off.

Consumer goods and electronics really arent designed to be on 24/7. They're designed for a cheap price and to last a short time then break which forces you to throw it away and buy another. That's our economy in a nutshell and if we quit consuming the economy crashes. So hurry up and break it, do your part to uphold the economy!

A server needs to be on 24/7 and is a commercial piece of equipment. Very costly, built better, cooled better, all round better components. There's also the argument that a hard drive or anything else with an electric motor goes through more stress at startup than running continuously. Your tv has no electric motors in case you were wondering.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts