AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am installing a new Electric screen this week and watching a movie got me thinking, could you roll the screen up and shift lens up so you dont see the bars at top or bottom? Sort of a hillbilly solution to get rid of black bars I know.

The Electric screen will stop wherever you wish so roll it up some then shift your lense up to get rid of black bars at top of screen...............guess I will try it this week but wonder if anyone does this?

·
Registered
676 Posts
Yes you can do this.........reason I don't is I use so much horizontal and vertical already I have no more adjustment to do so.......but I do roll my screen up to cut the bottom bar off at least.....if only our projectors had image shift as well, it'd be much easier.....

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yea maybe just the bar at bottom would be nice, I suppose if the movie is good I never notice the bars anyway but miaght be cool to get rid of them all the same. After 3 projectors I keep saying someday I will go with a Anamorphic rig but then I get lazy.

·
Registered
12,276 Posts
A lot will depend on your projector and the amount of lens shift it has from the location you have it positioned. In addtion, it is timing with both the screen and shift (there are no set stopping points other than very top and bottom.

·
Registered
21,405 Posts

Quote:
Yea maybe just the bar at bottom would be nice, I suppose if the movie is good I never notice the bars anyway but miaght be cool to get rid of them all the same. After 3 projectors I keep saying someday I will go with a Anamorphic rig but then I get lazy.

If your projector has power zoom and focus, get a 2nd bigger 2.35:1 electric screen and the black bars are gone.

·
Registered
729 Posts
I have a motorized 100" Da-Lite High Power screen (Designer Contour Electrol), and my hand-eye coordination is good enough to stop at the right point. On 2.35:1 content, I raise the bottom of the screen to coincide with the bottom of the image. Sometimes it takes two iterations. I like it, although my wife notices the band of not quite black (our projector is a JVC RS15) that then falls on the wall-mounted TV set (a JVC 65S998) just behind the screen.

Kevin

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
I do this as well but with a screen based off the width I need for a 2.4 aspect. For 16x9 material I drop the srcreen down 7". The flexibility of the electric screen lets me have a constant viewable area for 2.4 or 16x9 content of 40 square feet. The funny thing to me is the 2.4 image is based off a 50 square foot zoomed 16x9 image yet the pq on the 2.4 looks just as good as the smaller 16x9.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Heres what I do. I have a 2.35:1 screen mounted on the wall. For 1.85:1 and other aspect ratios, I use an Dalite Contour electrol that rolls down and covers the fixed screen. I have a remote and it is easy switching and no black bars when watching 2.35 movie. I have the fixed screen mounted so that I don't have to shift the image at all. And even though there is a 4-5 inch space difference... I have never had to refocus.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts