AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
Have a question. I have been getting power outages on my home theater dedicated line. I have a 30 amp sub box, 12 guage line (Im aware 12 gauge is just 20 amps, but an electrician said it was ok), and a 15 amp receptacle(( which was also said to be Ok). My power conditioner is a Furman SPR 20i. I had the power outages on my current processor(Anthem D2v 3d) as well as my 2 previous processors(Lexicon mc1 and mc8b also I has outages on my monster power conditioner. The Furman does its job and shuts everything off and then I just flip the switch and everything is up and running again. But I would like to resolve this before ant damage. I had an electrician look at my system and he said electrically everything is good. Thanks for any input as to whats going on.

Rob

·
Registered
10,866 Posts
I assume you mean that the breaker is tripping? Is it just one circuit breaker or the main sub-panel one? What kind of breakers? Arc-fault?

What's going on when the breaker trips? Start-up/turn-on, randomly? Very unlikely you're actually overloading the circuit.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Jautor.
No, the Furman is the switch I flip. After I flip the Furman everything is fine again. When the electrician came in he said I had a loose wire which could of caused the power shutting off. But its doing it again.
Rob

·
Registered
10,866 Posts
Thanks Jautor.
No, the Furman is the switch I flip. After I flip the Furman everything is fine again. When the electrician came in he said I had a loose wire which could of caused the power shutting off. But its doing it again.
Rob
Ok, so it's the Furman unit that's shutting down? What is going on when this happens? (System under heavy use? During start-up? Randomly?) Does the Furman display show abnormal voltage readings? What LEDs are lit when it's shut down? Is the Voltage Shutdown LED lit? Is the Blue "Protection OK" LED still functional?

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
How are you plugging a 20 amp Furman line to a 15 amp receptacle? This shouldn't happen. The power cord of the Furman unit has a dedicated 20 amp plug.

Is there a 20 amp breaker in the electrical sub panel for the outlet where the Furman is plugged into?
Can you use a multi-meter or a volt-meter to test the voltage from the outlet?

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Hi
Jautor, The power shuts off mostly when Im not there. A couple of times it shut off while using my system. No abnormal voltage reading and the red light does not come on. Don't know about the blue light at the time of it shutting off. But it is on now.

ifor, Maybe I have misinterpreted the receptacle.. I always thought 15 amp receptacle does not have the little horizontal "T" that a 20 amp receptacle has. I double checked my receptacle and it has no "T". Im sorry if I got this wrong. No 20 amp breaker but a 30 amp breaker. I have no meter, but the electrician did and said it was normal. My system is using at the most 6 amps if that is helpful.

I was told by electrician electrically everything was hooked up properly. The Furman is old. Im thinking about getting a new Furman. I think that's the culprit. But would still appreciate any further input.

Thanks! Rob

1 - 6 of 6 Posts