AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just pulled the trigger on a psa xv15. it was this sub or the svs pb2000. I hope I made a good choice.anyone have any input on this sub. also does it come with the base plate on the bottom I think it looks better with it on.

·
Registered
75" Samsung Q80R QLED, Denon AVR3300, Revel F36, C25, W263, FV15HP x 2, ATV4K, Sony Blu Ray, Harmony
8,855 Posts

I think the base plate is an extra $100.  Also I think you made a good choice.  They are both very good subs for the price.  The XV15 has a solid output advantage in the mid and upper bass, so if you have a large room or listen loud that will be an advantage.

·
Registered
14,582 Posts
The base plate is a extra 100.00 on top of the 799.00 price. Luckily some of us got the base plate versions for 759.00 when purchasing multiples before the price went thru the roof on mdf.

The XV15 has a ton of headroom in the 40-80hz range for a 799.00 sub. You should be very pleased to say the least...I have 3 of them in a 2400^3 room... they hit hard and deep!

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
I also think the bass plate looks better but it actually removes the acoustic benefit of a downfiring sub. If a sub fires toward carpet the carpet filters out the unwanted above bandwidth harmonics. So basically it will help the sub be less localizable if there is any content being played by the sub that is over 80hz.

·
Registered
85 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by flickhtguru  /t/1520046/power-sound-audio-xv15#post_24415871

I also think the bass plate looks better but it actually removes the acoustic benefit of a downfiring sub. If a sub fires toward carpet the carpet filters out the unwanted above bandwidth harmonics. So basically it will help the sub be less localizable if there is any content being played by the sub that is over 80hz.

Tom touched base on this as well. I don't recall how much, but he said the carpet/padding would have to be several inches thick to have any real significance in acting as a filter at these lower frequencies.

Of course the higher up in harmonics you go the carpet may filter out some, but I doubt it's still in a sub's range once a low-pass crossover is applied.

·
Registered
85 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81  /t/1520046/power-sound-audio-xv15#post_24415815

You can always add the base plate when they are back in stock.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed on that one. He didn't make it sound like it was gonna be anytime in the near future.

·
Registered
14,582 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by flickhtguru  /t/1520046/power-sound-audio-xv15#post_24415871

Yea but the base plate also helps load the driver...the difference between the 2 is very minimal from a performance standpoint. It does not matter if the driver is firing into carpet, wood, or tile.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
I'm not an expert but how would the base plate load the driver any different than a floor would..... Now just for some background, I always thought base plates were the best option for downfiring subs but then ppl on this forum convinced me otherwise. I my step-dad used to have an 8" downfiring Onkyo HTIB sub with a base plate and it was 150 watts peak. Then at one point in time I had a 10" downfiring Onkyo HTIB sub with OUT a base plate and it was 230 watts peak, both subs were front ported. And I swear his sounded better and had more bass and i thought it was because of the plate, but now I was thinking not. Just that his sub had a different hump in freq resp and played more distortion.

·
Registered
16,705 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenderchkn  /t/1520046/power-sound-audio-xv15#post_24416339

The only downside of not having the baseplate is that the sub will move on its own on hard floors.

The sub shouldn't really move around unless your floors are unlevel. It's a heavy beast of a sub. I haven't heard the XV15, but I have trouble imagining it has that much vibration.

·
Banned
15,491 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145  /t/1520046/power-sound-audio-xv15#post_24416409

The sub shouldn't really move around unless your floors are unlevel. It's a heavy beast of a sub. I haven't heard the XV15, but I have trouble imagining it has that much vibration.

My floors are level, but it does move a fraction of an inch with a heavy bass movie. The most it moved was from The Incredible Hulk, when it vibrated an inch into my right tower.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice  /t/1520046/power-sound-audio-xv15#post_24416430

This will take care of that:
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=202015909&R=202015909#.UP66YGeYUYc

Oh nice. I've using a piece of carpet but that looks much nicer.

·
Vendor
6,234 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenderchkn  /t/1520046/power-sound-audio-xv15#post_24416339

The only downside of not having the baseplate is that the sub will move on its own on hard floors.

If anyone is having an issue like this please email me at [email protected]

We have rubber pads you can add to the bottom of the standoffs(legs) that have eliminated this in each case to date----we'll send them out no charge.

Thanks.

Tom V.

Power Sound Audio

·
Registered
14,582 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by flickhtguru  /t/1520046/power-sound-audio-xv15#post_24416134

I'm not an expert but how would the base plate load the driver any different than a floor would..... Now just for some background, I always thought base plates were the best option for downfiring subs but then ppl on this forum convinced me otherwise. I my step-dad used to have an 8" downfiring Onkyo HTIB sub with a base plate and it was 150 watts peak. Then at one point in time I had a 10" downfiring Onkyo HTIB sub with OUT a base plate and it was 230 watts peak, both subs were front ported. And I swear his sounded better and had more bass and i thought it was because of the plate, but now I was thinking not. Just that his sub had a different hump in freq resp and played more distortion.

I was basing that comment off of ricci's review.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts