AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
I went higher end simply because I had so much to plug into one outlet that I was using two strips. I was getting some popping noises during certain situations. Now, I have everything except the sub plugged into one Monster power center. If it were up to me, I would rewire to get more outlets and more power to my HT room. However, I'm renting, so that's not possible. I'd also add a whole house surge suppression system and only use the Monster center for things like the TV and DVD, where cleaner power is better. My amps specifically state not to use power centers, but I don't have enough outlets.

·
Registered
225 Posts
It's a very wise idea to protect our HT/Audio components from the possibility of an electrical surge or damaging spike. Each person's "need" depends on much much gear, how expensive, potential for lightning storms where they live, and the added features these offer as power centers (F-terminals to pass cabletv or satellite coax for similar surge protection) even snazzy voltage meters!

The MonsterPower unit you show is a very nice entry level, and an improved model intro'd in the past year with more surge protection (in Joule Rating). If nothing else, I'd go for this model, and here is a better online price for Monster as well as Panamax units HERE

I am a Crutchfield customer at times, and they have a top reputation for customer service, but they do tend to hold to full MSRP prices.

Expect a surge protector at this level to be just that -- NOT a huge "power conditioner" or "cleaner," and like all of 'em, comes with AC line noise filters for some radio frequency/electromagnetic interference (RF/EMI) that may ride on our electrical circuits and cords.

Personally, I prefer the Panamax MAX8 DBS+5 for its under- and over-voltage protection features., which Panamax calls "SurgeGate."

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.