AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I build my HTPC would I have any problems putting the Power Supply out side the computer box. The computer will be sitting next to a wall. On the other side of the wall I have a utility room. Can I mount the power supply on that wall and just lead into the computer with the connecting wires.

This would

Decrease heat in the box and decrease sound. If I purchased a cool running CPU I would have a box running that I would maybe need two small fans, one for the cpu and one small quiet box fan.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Scott,

How do you plan to connect the external ps to your mb? It sounds like you wont have any room left to move the mb around to connect cables and service your system with the ps in the next room. I think you would be better off with the ps mounted inside the chassis. There a several super quiet ps on the market today. The major source of noise today is from the hard drive. The lenght wire from the ps to the mb is important. You'll get some amount of voltage drop per inch of wire.

·
Registered
205 Posts
With well shielded wireing this should'nt cause any problems.

Voltage drops over a few feet of wire are neglagable.

Spending the money on a high quality PSU with solid smooth voltages is the most omportant thing.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I don’t see much advantage to remotely locating a power supply for an HTPC, unless you were designing a non-standard power supply such as a low noise linear, etc. After I complete my home theater, I may try this myself.

It can be done if you want however. I have wired remote power supplies to computers approximately 20 times. Most of the installations have 5 foot cables but in 7 applications, the computers are 20ft away. I have had zero problems. The power supplies had to be remotely located because of space and heat issues in an industrial environment. These computers have been running for 2 years this way.

I purchased standard computer power supplies and cut off the connectors. The power supply and some industrial spring loaded terminal blocks were mounted to a steel plate. The plate was fabricated to mount to a 19 inch rack. I connected the wires from the power supply to one side of the terminal blocks. I then bought some shielded, multi-conductor, 14 gauge cable. The connectors from the power supply were soldered to one end of the cable. The other end of the cable was connected to the power supply through the terminal blocks. The terminal blocks make installation and troubleshooting easer. Another advantage is that noise filters are simpler to add if desired.

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
You can do this but sure is a lot of trouble with lots of wire splicing. Better off quieting your PC by switching the PS and CPU fans with quieter ones. You can line your PC with Dynamat, generic Dynamat (avail. at www.partsexpress.com ), or polyfill batting (cheap). You can also run a USB 2.0 cable and get IDE to USB adapter to play your DVD drive in one room while locating your PC in another. Some run just the VGA cable into your HT room while accessing PC in another room. Hushbox for PC can be built with great noise reduction capability with passive (larger box) or active (smaller box with lower RPM, larger, quieter fans).

·
Registered
37 Posts
I also like Huey's Idea to connect the dvd with a usb to ide adapter. However, I was never able to find one supporting usb 2. I own a thatswrite usb2ide adapter which I tested playing mpeg clips from a harddrive, but this cannot handle dvd's with higher encoding bitrates. Then there also is the problem of the dvd drives that are running too fast and making a lot of noise doing so. I would love to see a utility that could force a dvd player to run at single or double speed in stead of 16 speed like mine. It makes as much noise as the rest of the pc added up

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Interesting, I could put the full PC behind the wall except for an external DVD drive and the receiver for the wireless keyboard and the Video and Sound cable.

OK, so what recommendations do we have for a good external DVD drive or for a converter for an internal DVD drive. I will do some looking as well and get back to you.

·
Registered
6,225 Posts
Just one small correction. Large fans are quieter than small ones, because they spin much more slowly to move the same amount of air. Therefore you should look for a single large case fan and mount it above the CPU using an oversized heatink such as a Zalman flower. Also, stay away from noisy 7200rpm hard drives - the 5400's are quieter and work just fine even if you are recording video to HD.

Gary

·
Registered
6,225 Posts
The most stable motherboards for Intel CPUs, bar none, are also made by Intel. They may cost a bit more and not have any overclocking features, but good stability is a must for a HTPC. It appears that the manufacturer of the CPU and the motherboard chipset is also the best at implementing these two on a PCB. So if you can find a match with size and features, an Intel motherboard would be my first choice. Get a good case and power supply to go with it, and you'll almost certainly be pleased.

Gary

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.