AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was putting in a larger HD and all of a sudden my Seasonic power supply went out. I tried unplugging everything and still, no fan movement. I then went out and bought a new Antec PS, hooked it up and then, nothing. Then I tried it unloaded and nothing again. My question is twofold. One, will these power supplies work when not under a load? And two, could something in my PC have shorted out both of these? IF so, what?

·
Registered
1,375 Posts

·
Registered
2,594 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrt1012 /forum/post/14271964

One, will these power supplies work when not under a load?

Sometimes they won't start up if there's no load.

Connect your motherboard only (the large connector and the 12v extra for the CPU), and the power switch of course, and try to start up that way.

If it doesn't work, your motherboard could be dead/damaged.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
A PSU will start with no load if you apply the jumper between the green and a black wire as described above. If the power supply starts with the jumper installed then the problem is with the mobo or some component attached to the mobo. It could be as simple as a disconnected wire or a short caused by a component touching the case or a disturbed mounting standoff when you were installing the new hdd. Follow the troubleshooting guide on pcpower or a similar site (google is your friend) and you should be able to find the problem.

Worst case is a toasted mobo. Best case is a disengaged power retention plug.

BB

·
Registered
2,594 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbird999 /forum/post/14274565

A PSU will start with no load if you apply the jumper between the green and a black wire as described above.

Not necessarily.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I tried the paper clip trick and it worked. So, I either had a bad connector of a short on my mobo. I'll be checking both tonight. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
If its a newer mobo, did you rem to connect the 4/8 pin CPU power adapter from the PSU to the mobo.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbird999 /forum/post/14274565

A PSU will start with no load if you apply the jumper between the green and a black wire as described above. If the power supply starts with the jumper installed then the problem is with the mobo or some component attached to the mobo. It could be as simple as a disconnected wire or a short caused by a component touching the case or a disturbed mounting standoff when you were installing the new hdd. Follow the troubleshooting guide on pcpower or a similar site (google is your friend) and you should be able to find the problem.

Worst case is a toasted mobo. Best case is a disengaged power retention plug.

BB

Diagnosis isn't that easy. Some PSUs won't come on unless there is a minimum load. Then others that are broken will start up via shorting and die when a load is placed on it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts