AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to upgrade my 400w power supply to something more quiet. The fan noise is over 50db and is quite annoying. I have been able to quiet most of the other pc components.

Any suggestions for a quite fan that won't break the bank?

·
Registered
491 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by q3131a
I am looking to upgrade my 400w power supply to something more quiet. The fan noise is over 50db and is quite annoying. I have been able to quiet most of the other pc components.

Any suggestions for a quite fan that won't break the bank?
What power supply currently you use?

Mine is Antec True Power, and it's quite.

Lots of folks use Enermax ps.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't know what brand it is. It came as OEM from the manufacturer when I bought the motherboard and case.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
There is no PS that is real quiet. Unless you can get one without a fan.

That said, Antec and Nexxus seem to have the most followers here with regards to solid output while being relatively quiet.

An updated PS review from SilentPC:

http://www.silentpcreview.com/module...rtid=28&page=1

·
Registered
115 Posts
I have built two computers with the Antec Truepower 430. I have had no problems with either and I find them quiet enough (they are quieter than my TiVo).

YMMV,

Kyle

·
Registered
570 Posts
I have been keeping up on the SilentPC Review forums for a few weeks now, and they are a great source of info on quiet power supplies. First off, most people don't need the wattage they are buying. You can run a TON of stuff off a 300w... going to 400+ is usually unnecessary. Plus, running higher wattage requires more cooling, thus more noise.

I will be going with PSUs from www.silenx.com - they have ones that run at less than 14db, or 18db for a little less money. Not cheap, but I expect to get many years out of them.

Also, there are a number of different Fortron (same company as Sparkle, good rep) PSUs that can be very quiet, even without changing fans. They have a new model with 1 120mm fan, that is supposed to be relatively quiet (but way louder than a Nexus or SilenX).

Good luck, and I highly recommend checking out the www.silentpcreview.com forums.

Cheers,

RDaneel

·
Registered
195 Posts
First, I would agreed that the Fortron based power supplies can be an excellent choice for a near silent power supply. I just bought and installed the Zalman ZM400A power supply and it is so much quieter than the Enermax that it replaced. I cannot hear the power supply fan, but my IBM hard drive is so loud, it drowns any other device. (Seagate Barracuda V is enroute :))

The only issue that I can find with these power supplies is that the +12v rail tends to be lower than other 400W power supplies. 15A for the Zalman versus 20A for the 430W Antec.

Now for the interesting part. The silenX Fortron based power supply advertises the +12v rail at 18A. Zalman, Fortron, and Nexus use a rating of 15A. Did silenX modify the power supply enough to gain 3 more amperes on the +12v rail? I don't know, but maybe Zalman's detailed specification of the ZM400A offers more insight as the +12v rail also has an indication of Ipeak at 18A. Here is a link to the Zalman specification. http://www.zalman.co.kr/english/product/zm400a-apf.htm

I also found one power supply that is in the ATX form (if you can believe that a power supply with a huge heatsink outside of the case is within the ATX specification) that is completely silent. You can check it out here: http://www.siliconacoustics.com/silpc.html A little more than I would like to pay for a power supply.

-----

Rick http://pages.sbcglobal.net/waja/

·
Registered
570 Posts
I've seen that fanless PSU as well - looks nice. However, they have a disclaimer, IIRC, somewhere on the page that says it is not the best choice for high performance usage. That scared me away right there, not to mention the price!

RDaneel

·
Registered
742 Posts
Fortron are great and they have a new one with a 12cm fan on the inside bottom of the case instead of the back outside but the problem with most of these PSUs is that the interior vents are on the bottom of the PSU case where AMD suggests. BUT, that case is a desktop case (which AMD recommends to avoid by the way). I have the ATC-610 and I am using a Seasonic 300 watt PSU which I got for $29 from newegg. It is very quiet and powers everything I have in that case with no problems and it has vents on the end of the PSU case for drawing the air in.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Quote: "You can run a TON of stuff off a 300w... going to 400+ is usually unnecessary."

Dangerous simplification - 'Title' wattages are meaningless; you must match the capacity of the PSU on each rail to the requirements of YOUR system.

Quote: "running higher wattage requires more cooling, thus more noise"

Nonsense - PSU 'wattage' refers to capacity, not consumption; assuming equal efficiency, a '300W' and a '500W' PSU will both draw the same power (whatever the system demands at the time). If anything, the '500W' unit will likely have larger heatsinks and require less airflow to dissipate the same amount of heat.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
I am running the Fortron Modified Verax (Tom's Hardware one).

No problems with it.

See the list of hardware I am using in my software guide.

The system NEVER crashed since I set up Winxp properly and I downloaded the right set of drivers.

I am running a very limited set of cards:

- capture card

- sound card

- hard disk

- video card

- network card

- 2 fans

- 1Ghz processor

- VFD display

- DVD-ROM

·
Registered
524 Posts
I have an Enermax EG365AX-VE power supply running my HTPC. I opened it up (voids warranty) and removed the intake fan, which is unneccessary. The second step was to replace the stock 80mm exhaust fan with a Panaflo 80mm. The power supply has a rheostat on it for controlling the exhaust fan, so I turned it pretty much all the way down. You can not tell if this power supply is running or not. It ended up costing me around $80 total, for the power supply and Panaflo fan and I have a great power supply which is silent. I think that those fanless power supplies are overrated.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I have a Seasonic 300w PSU in my HTPC. I can't hear it at all. Doesn't look very fancy, though.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Keh - you are right that my statment about 300 vs. 400 watts is a simplification, but not a dangerous one. PSUs don't automatically get much better performance on each rail just because of a bump in claimed wattage - that is all I meant.

Also, higher watt PSUs have, based on the observations of other users on the SilentPCReview forums, more noise issues. The problem is that the fans have to be capable of dissapating more total heat, so they tend to be more powerful. Thus, at low load, you end up with more fan noise. More powerful PSUs may have bigger heat sinks, but they generally have more and louder fans as well. Look at the Vantec or Antec 530 watt units with 3 (count 'em, 3) fans - there is no way those are as quiet. For many users a single fan on a 300 watt high quality unit will suffice with much less noise.

I am not disagreeing with you at all, just defending the simplifications as a useful shorthand, not dangerous raving ;-)

Cheers,

RDaneel

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
F.Y.I. I just had a Enlight 250 Watt (I'm sure it was OEMed from someone like Sparkle) power supply quit on me. I bought a Antec Smartpower 350 Watt as its replacement. I used to get a nice perfect single pixel for black in Dscaler's histogram filter (a measure of the noise contributed by the capture card). Now it is about 12 pixels wide. So I guess a newer more powerful name brand power supply isn't really better after all. :(

·
Registered
529 Posts
RDaneel - If you had dealt (in another forum) with the number of situations related to "but it's a 300W power supply, so that can't be the problem" that I have, you would see why it is a 'dangerous simplification'. And your statement "PSUs don't automatically get much better performance on each rail just because of a bump in claimed wattage" is precisely why it is so.

And Ron's post demonstates that indeed "the devil is in the details".

Granted, more powerful PSUs generally have larger or more fans, but these days they are thermostatically controlled. Given an 'apples to apples' comparison (equal efficiencies and loads) even if the 'bigger' PSU had the same sized heatsinks and required the same airflow, larger or more fans would mean that the airflow would be achieved with lower RPMs and less noise.

But if you drive a larger load with a larger PSU, it is quite likely that the noise will also be 'larger'.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.