AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK. So I'm enjoying Everybody Loves Raymond and the power goes out. I saw a nice little Spark from Behind the HDTV set (Which is in front of 2 surge supressors). I quickly unplugged everything and waited inpatiently for the power to go back on. When I plugged in the set it worked. WHEW! One of the surge supressors had a nice black mark on one of the plugs. Of course, that the one with my PANNY TUDST-51 and the PVHD1000 and my subwoofer. All three seem to be working.

If everything seems to be working should I be worried about electrical shorts in the theatre equipment? I am not electronically inclined so I'm not sure if the is anything that can test the the electrical outlet so I can feel safe that the outlet itself is OK ?

Also,

The surge supressors were computer ones, (I paid about $70 each for the higher end ones). Are they OK or should I purchase something else?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan Bither:
One of the surge supressors had a nice black mark on one of the plugs. Of course, that the one with my PANNY TUDST-51 and the PVHD1000 and my subwoofer. All three seem to be working.

The surge supressors were computer ones, (I paid about $70 each for the higher end ones). Are they OK or should I purchase something else?
I would suggest calling the manufacturer and telling them your story. If the surge protector was using Transorbs (a special diode) it might have been destroyed when the surge came through and thus is no longer a surge protector.

What else did you have in mind to buy? I use both a UPS and a surge protector.

Herb

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your hypothesis was correct. I don't know what it used but it is now an Ex-surge supressor (but a very good reminder of WHY someone should get one.)

I just replaced it with one of the Monster Cable level one line conditioner/supressors.

Do you think it is a good idea to double up and plug that into a UPS as well? I've also been thinking of having an electrician install a whole house conditioner/supressor at the fuse box. When my dad was having an addition put on his house tha was one thing the electrician suggested.

·
Registered
100 Posts
(NON-TECHNICAL TWO CENTS AHEAD)

I was told by an APC engineer at PC Expo once that it is not a good idea to daisy chain power surge strips OR plug one into a UPS. It can also void your UPS warranty... he told me that if someone fry's a UPS they can tell if you had a strip plugged into it.

I don't chain them anymore, even though it's tempting. I bought a few heavy gauge 3-way splitters from Home Depot and use those if I need more protected outlets (and it won't overload the circuit).

Dave

·
Registered
23 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan Bither:
Your hypothesis was correct. I don't know what it used but it is now an Ex-surge supressor (but a very good reminder of WHY someone should get one.)

I just replaced it with one of the Monster Cable level one line conditioner/supressors.

Do you think it is a good idea to double up and plug that into a UPS as well? I've also been thinking of having an electrician install a whole house conditioner/supressor at the fuse box. When my dad was having an addition put on his house tha was one thing the electrician suggested.
Most newer UPS systems have a built in surge protector. I have the biggest one that I could find at the time (but still needs to be bigger). I was seriously thinking about buying a second UPS and splitting the load between the two.

I am really glad your protector worked for you. In the future, most surge protectors are "guaranteed" to cover all losses. But if you read the fine print those "losses" is just your insurance deductible, so you still have to go through you personal insurance company (home owners) before you get to the surge protector company. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/frown.gif

Herb

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.