AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Yamaha as1000 integrated amp and while I was listening to music a thunderstorm hit and the power went out for a minute and everything shut off.
I had the amp connected to a simple power strip. I think I am lucky because my amplifier seems to be ok and everything is working like normal now. I bought a surge protector yesterday and hooked my amp up to it. Should I be worried about anything? I guess I dodged a bullet.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Integrated amps usually have less sensitive circuitry than an AVR, BD player, computer, etc.

I'd mention that none of my equipment has ever had a problem from surges or storms, but that would probably bite me in the butt at the next opportunity, so I won't. I do use surge strips, though and have never had one flame out, even though we get some spectacular lightning here. When I bought a Parasound preamp and power amp, I bought a PanaMaxx rack-mount protector more as a way to keep the power cords organized, but it crowbars at 140VAC, which is a lot lower than most. When storms show up, it's often so sudden that there's no time to do anything and on some occasions, my power would dim, go back to normal, go out/on/out and come back whenever it felt like it. Even my music server has survived.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Integrated amps usually have less sensitive circuitry than an AVR, BD player, computer, etc.

I'd mention that none of my equipment has ever had a problem from surges or storms, but that would probably bite me in the butt at the next opportunity, so I won't. I do use surge strips, though and have never had one flame out, even though we get some spectacular lightning here. When I bought a Parasound preamp and power amp, I bought a PanaMaxx rack-mount protector more as a way to keep the power cords organized, but it crowbars at 140VAC, which is a lot lower than most. When storms show up, it's often so sudden that there's no time to do anything and on some occasions, my power would dim, go back to normal, go out/on/out and come back whenever it felt like it. Even my music server has survived.
Yea I got a Panamaxx surge protector too

1 - 5 of 5 Posts