AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What kind of an increase, if any, in my electric bill should I notice if I switch to a Panasonic TH-50PX50U? (assuming everything else is kept constant in my power usage) I currently have a Sony 50" LCD projection and it's on about 5 hours a day.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Well i don't know what sony lcd you have, but the panasonic uses ~525W and a sony 50" Grand Wega(KDF-E50A10) uses ~210W. Which at 5hrs a day translates to an increase of 47.25KWh more per month or basically 2.5x the power consumption of the sony.

·
Registered
6,294 Posts
Not getting into calculations, its about a nickel an hour. Depends on what your power company charges for a kilo watt hour. Mine charges close to 10 cents per kilo watt hour. So probably cost you around 10 dollars a month to run your new plasma.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mine charges about 10 cents as well. $10 isn't bad. That's probably less than my wife spends in kitty litter each month.

·
Registered
4,273 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by squeezee
Well i don't know what sony lcd you have, but the panasonic uses ~525W and a sony 50" Grand Wega(KDF-E50A10) uses ~210W. Which at 5hrs a day translates to an increase of 47.25KWh more per month or basically 2.5x the power consumption of the sony.
The 50" Panasonic plasma does not use 525 Watts. The power specification for plasmas is the worse case with the screen cranked up to max brightness with an all white scene. The power consumption of plasmas varies considerably depending on the brightness of the screen. I have measured (and posted about this before) the power consumption of the my Panasonic 42" TH-42PHD7UY as averaging 140 Watts over a 4 hour period. The power consumption dropped to ~ 90 watts for dark scenes and up to over 200 Watts for white scenes of snow and ice. Based on my measurements and postings from others, in general the power consumption of a plasma will run around 40% to 50% of the rated max in the specification. RP TVs with bulbs which run at a constant brightness presumably run closer to their power spec, but I have not seen direct measurements on them.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That makes sense that it would vary since the picture itself is the light source, as opposed to the bulb in an LCD projection which is a constant.

·
Oppo Beta Group
12,096 Posts
It is safe to assume that you use about 1/2 the max power for a Plasma and possibly less.

You can buy a power meter for about $30 to actually measure it. An LCD should use constant power. I have a LaCross power meter that can also compute yearly cost estimates.

Of course, you could forget about it and enjoy your TV :)

-- Rich

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.