AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering what the average power usage for a 5.1 receiver was. I know the manual will often have quotes of like 110 watts for each channel, but I'm assuming that's only at max amplification. What's it using up if you left your receiver on but not playing anything? Or even average use? For the record I've got a yamaha 5930.

·
Registered
657 Posts
I assume the watts/channel rating is come from after AC converted to DC. I think most manufacturers don't post the power consumption. Sony is the only one that I know has this information. For example, their ES line receiver has 1 watts on standby, 480 watts in operation. Their flagship model is STR-DA5300ES that has 120w/channel (7) [about 840 watts total]. On the other hand, Onkyo 805 model requires 9.5A (x120v = 1140w AC]. This 805 is only rated at 130w/channel (7).

Maybe Sony's power supply is more efficient or they aren't as powerful as the Onkyo ones.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Any idea if that means: if you left your Sony receiver on without playing anything, it'd be eating 480 watts? I don't really know if standby means that it's plugged in but turned off or it's turned on but not doing anything.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
Your receiver won't draw 110 x 5 or whatever when idle. It can't even draw that driven to it's limit, because it can't put out 110 x 5

(They measure it's output with only one channel driven.)

Your guess is as good as mine, probably draws 1-20 watts at idle.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts