AVS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw when I was swapping out my denon x2500H to my new X4500H that actually the denon x2500H power cable is ticker( 2X 1.00mm On the denon x2500h compared to the 2x0.75mm with the denon X4500h)
Why would this be?
Wouldn’t a ticker power cable be better? And should I Maby use the x2500h powercable instead of the tinner x4500h one?

·
Registered
3,663 Posts
Curious, Denon shows both models to be 2018, so not sure how the 4500 can be ”new.”

Regardless, what really matters is the gauge of the actual wire. The thickness of the insulation can make one look “beefier” than the other, even if both have the same gauge wire inside.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Curious, Denon shows both models to be 2018, so not sure how the 4500 can be ”new.”

Regardless, what really matters is the gauge of the actual wire. The thickness of the insulation can make one look “beefier” than the other, even if both have the same gauge wire inside.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt
I ment new in the form of newly bought.
My pardons!

·
Registered
28,568 Posts
I don't think it matters which cord you use. But if you feel more confident with the x2500 power cord by all means use it.

·
Registered
3,663 Posts
I ment new in the form of newly bought.
My pardons!
If you bought it used, it’s possibly not the correct power cord. That’s the main thing I don’t like about these detachable power cords, especially where amplifiers are involved - it's too easy for careless people who don't know what they're doing to lose the original one and then just stick in whatever they have lying around.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

·
Premium Member
4,742 Posts
No it’s written on the cable itself
Oh good, then we can apply science.

You can look up the the diameter of the copper and see what gauge it is.

Back of the receiver/manual it tells you what the box's max power consumption.

Google table of cable length + amp/watt vs gauge required.

Then i.e. if it comes up with 14 gauge, I'd feel better going up 1 to 12, a little wiggling room.

·
Registered
6,099 Posts
AWG cable

Presumably the cable isn't AWG (American Wire Gauge), but 0.75 mm is just a little larger than 21 AWG.

TheAVR-X4500H has a rated power consumption of 710W, so call it 6 amps continuous current. That's above the "power transmission" spec. However, 21 AWG is spec'd at 0.0128 ohms per foot. 12 feet (2 X6) would have a resistance of 0.154 ohms, dissipating 5.53W at 6 amps. Doesn't scream "fire hazard!" to me. Switching to a 1mm diameter conductor would cut that to 3.1W.

I'm a little surprised that both cables are that small, although either should be OK, even if not up to hyper conservative specs.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
AWG cable

Presumably the cable isn't AWG (American Wire Gauge), but 0.75 mm is just a little larger than 21 AWG.

TheAVR-X4500H has a rated power consumption of 710W, so call it 6 amps continuous current. That's above the "power transmission" spec. However, 21 AWG is spec'd at 0.0128 ohms per foot. 12 feet (2 X6) would have a resistance of 0.154 ohms, dissipating 5.53W at 6 amps. Doesn't scream "fire hazard!" to me. Switching to a 1mm diameter conductor would cut that to 3.1W.

I'm a little surprised that both cables are that small, although either should be OK, even if not up to hyper conservative specs.
th

These are the cables, I’m not home sadly so can’t look into it more at the moment.

what is your recommendation? Should I use the 0.75mm or the 1mm one ?

·
Registered
6,099 Posts
(snip)

These are the cables, I’m not home sadly so can’t look into it more at the moment.

what is your recommendation? Should I use the 0.75mm or the 1mm one ?
If the markings are to be taken literally, the smaller wire is 0.75 square mm. That gives a diameter of 0.98 mm, just a little under 18 AWG. The 1 sq mm wire, 1.13 mm, between 16 AWG and 17 AWG.

Either would be OK.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts