AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been fighting to get 1080P 3D output working from my HTPC for a while. I am now down to the final issue, but am struggling on what can be at fault.....

If I load the Nvidia control panel, I get the option to set up 3D on an HDMI 1.4a display. This setup works successfully, changes the TV automatically to 1080P/24/3D and is showing a 3D picture.

If I load Power DVD 10 MkII (latest patches applied), it detects a 3D bluray movie, and automatically changes the TV to 1080P/24/3D and plays the movie but the movie is always in 2D. Looking at the stream details it says it is decoding a MVC stream - so it should be the 3D stream it is using.

Thinking it was a PowerDVD issue I tried TMT5, this also changes the TV to 3D mode and states it is playing a 3D movie, but again the output is 2D.

To rule out Bluray itself, I loaded a sidebyside 3D MKV file in Powerdvd. This works correctly if I display sidebyside to the TV and then set the TV into sidebyside mode. If I let PowerDVD output automatically as 1080P/24/3D then I get a 2D image.

From the tests I have done I cannot see an obvious issue :-

The Nvidia test shows that the Graphics card, HDMI connectivity / TV are alll working correctly.

The MKV test shouldl rule out any problems with the source

The fact that Power DVD and TMT both suffer the same issue implies it is not an individual piece of software at fault. Also both players are switching the TV to 1080P/24/3D automatically.

My gut feel is that there is an interaction problem between the players and the Nvidia drivers......

Does anyone have any ideas?

My HTPC used to have an Nvidia GTS450, I have just changed it to a GT240 since the GTS power consumption was too much for the PSU. The symptoms are the same with both cards. I am using the latest Nvidia drivers 260.99

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
In the NVIDIA contro panel, under 3D settings, if you change the option "Let the 3D application decide" and try to use any of the remaining two, you will likely have this problem.

You probably want to check and be sure you have the right option. i.e Let the 3D application decide.

In TMT5 and PDVD you also need to be sure that you have selected the NVIDIA 3D vision compatible display (TMT5) or HDMI 1.4 display (PDVD).

Good luck!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think I have the settings configured as you state. For clarity I have attached screenshots of the Nvidia config and PowerDVD config. I have also set the PowerDVD config to force 1080p/24. These options only appear when the TV is connected.

Regarding TMT, does this support HDMI1.4a, maybe this should not be part of my testing?

·
Registered
1,231 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyt /forum/post/19639065

I think I have the settings configured as you state. For clarity I have attached screenshots of the Nvidia config and PowerDVD config. I have also set the PowerDVD config to force 1080p/24. These options only appear when the TV is connected.

Regarding TMT, does this support HDMI1.4a, maybe this should not be part of my testing?

These settings should work normally, but you might want to select the HDMI 1.4 compatible TV in the PDVD option.

I don't think you really need to set PDVD to force 1080p/24, as it automatically switches fine when you play a 3D BR disc.

Just to be sure, I also assume you're using a high speed HDMI cable from the PC to the TV...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry, my last post was unclear - the PDVD setting is set to Auto, but I have tried setting it to 1080p/24 as well but this made no difference.

I will try swapping out HDMI cables, but I had thought this unlikely since the TV is switching modes correctly and the Nvidia test 3D signal works fine at 1080P.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Currently connected through an HDMI Matrix, but I had the same problem when I tested a few weeks ago when it was connected directly to the TV. I am revisiting the issue now that I have the matrix issue sorted.

TV is a Panasonic Vt20 (TX-P50VT20)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Fixed it

I finally found someone on another forum that had the identical issue.

The fix is to remove Nvidia video drivers, reboot, uninstall remaining Nvidia components, reboot, install latest Nvidia video drivers andset up the 3d again...

I had reinstalled the Nvidia drivers many times and selected the option to "clean settings" during the install, but this does not fix it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts