AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I upgraded from powerDVD 4 to 5 I had the very bad surprise to discover that when I use Spdif output I can loose up to a few minutes of movie sometimes becasue the player starts to play at 5x speed or something, and obviously without sound. And this can last quite long before coming back to normal speed

I dont have this with non Spdif output, I dont have this with PowerDVD 4 I don have this with WinDVD

I tried to install the latest patch but it didnt fix my problem and introduced some scratches in the non spdif playback...

My PC is quite powerful (Athlon 2600+), my DVD player (Pioneer) works very well and is set on UDMA (I can rip a whole DVD in 10 minutes or something), my Video Card (Ti 4400) is quite powerful as well...

I tried with hardware acceleration for video, without, etc... no success

Did I do anything wrong ? Am I the only one ? Or is there really a problem with PowerDVD 5 and Spdif output (I really dont see how this could be my hardware)

I love the picture quality but I would really like to have Spdif output...

Please help (Otherwise I will end up with WinDVD)

·
Registered
269 Posts
I am using PowerDVD XP Ver. 5 without any problems like you mention. I did not do an upgrade from Ver. 4, but rather did a clean install of Ver. 5 (an OEM version).

Have you tried to reinstall? Are you able to do a clean install?

What is your sound card (mine is M-Audio Delta Dio 2496)? What operating system are you using (mine is WinXP Pro SP1 with all updates)?

·
Registered
435 Posts
I had this problem as well initially with PowerDVD 5 but I managed to solve it. The problem seems to be soundcard related. I was using the Soundblaster Live! 5.1 with the latest drivers from Creative. Based on a hint I saw in this forum, I downgraded to the 3509 Soundblaster drivers. This solved the problem completely.

So, if you're using a Soundblaster card (this trick MAY also work for the Audigy) then try the 3509 driver set. I can't remember where I downloaded them from but do a search in this forum or on Google for the Soundblaster 3509 drivers.

Regards

Lester

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have Win XP with all the latest installations from Widowsupdtae

Actually yes my sound card is an Audigy so I am going to try other drivers

(I tried to reinstall PowerDVD 3 times and it did not help either)

Thanks a lot for the advise

·
Registered
16,786 Posts
PowerDVD 5 is still a buggy mess at this point :( . I would stay away from it until the many issues have been solved [ just my opinion of course ;) ] .

---- Jason

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks a lot Lester

It's doing a little bit better (though far from being perfect..)

·
Registered
502 Posts
Moa: have you tried the latest PowerDVD 5.0 patch ? Among other things, they list a fix in Audio S/PDIF delay, so this might just be your ticket :). I'll PM you to make sure you get this info...

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thabks. Actually I was expecting the patch and had great hoper upon its release but it did not help

However following Lester's advice I tried many batches of drivers for my Audigy and now it's working perfectly

Thanks for it Lester : I dont think I would have spent so long time to try many audio drivers (It's actually crazy the time it takes to install Audigy drivers...) if I had not been sure that it actually comes from them...

I dont know what to balme, Soundblaster or POwerDVD but given the fact everything has always been working fine with the previous drivers (incl POwerDVD 4) I guess I should put the blame on Cyberlink...

Anyway thanks again now I have a perfectly working HTPC hooked up to my VW10

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.