AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK - I'm not going to get into people that don't have top notch equipment that may lead into problems irrespective of software flaws, but this may address some of the problems that people are having playing back Blue Ray titles in the ISO format - which is the ONLY way Blue Ray's should be ripped.

While I know that PDVD 8 should be an embarrassment to Cyberlink due to their coding, they get away with it because there is only ONE alternative software at the moment - Arcsoft Total Media. That will absolutely change when Asus releases their HDMI sound card with Total Media included. I can perfectly understand not wanting to pay $100 for the program now - but that won't be the case for long when it will be essentially free.

I knew that every problem (stuttering, lipsync) was PDVD 8 related because when I used Total Media - the problems vanished. I'm not also going to get which one looks better or sounds better. At this stage I don't care. I want the movies to be playable and with out problems.

What you have to do is install the original PDVD 8 (first one out) with out any patches. Then go to program files>cyberlink>video filter and copy "CL264dec.ax" to your desktop. Then proceed to install your patch. After installation delete "CL264dec.ax" and copy the file you saved from your desktop. "DO NOT rename the file" and then add it from your desktop. If you do this, as someone else mentioned in another post, you will get some BD's that will not play past their menus (3:10 to Yuma, 30 Days of Night).

After doing it this way there never was a lipsync or stuttering problem again. I would like to know how this works out for people.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2,851 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhaedrusGalt /forum/post/14297634

Pretty sweet. Can you upload a copy of that file to mediashare or some other free (legal) file sharing website?

The file is already in your PDVD8 directory.

·
Registered
142 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunbunnysoulja /forum/post/14297705

The file is already in your PDVD8 directory.

I meant the original file so that I don't have to uninstall, hunt down my install disc, and reinstall everything (unless necessary). Thanks either way.

·
Registered
2,851 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhaedrusGalt /forum/post/14297714

I meant the original file so that I don't have to uninstall, hunt down my install disc, and reinstall everything (unless necessary). Thanks either way.

Gotcha...

·
Registered
927 Posts
Actually, WinDVD and Nero Showtime are two viable alternatives to PowerDVD. I have used all three, and Nero Showtime uses the least CPU. Quality looks the same on all three, and I wasn't impressed by WinDVD's interface. I saw no problems so to speak on any of the three.

·
Registered
724 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucifer1977 /forum/post/14303843

Not really a viable alternative if you want to use My_Movies

Right now Arcsoft TMT is the *only* thing to consider for use with MyMovies, whether it be on XP MC or VMC, period. I've spent countless hours between both PowerDVD 8 and Arcsoft TMT - they both have annoyances but arcsoft's player integrates better with media center (it even responds to all the microsoft remote commands, unlike PDVD which only responds to a few). TMT also has a remote-friendly menu inside the player including ability to update the software right from that menu with your remote.

Right now there's also no way to "EXIT/CLOSE" PDVD after launching it with MyMovies unless you press the "green" button - then VMC comes to top of screen while PDVD still sits in background like an idiot. Cyberlink are a bizarre company and you can never count on them to address even the most OBVIOUS problems in bugfixes. With Arcsoft TMT, if you press the "back" button, it closes the player and gets you back to MC.

I have BD playback on a VMC PC down to a science now, with myMovies and Arcsoft TMT trial. I'm not going to pay for Arcsoft TMT now because it will be bundled with the Azus Xonar HDAV card I'm going to buy anyway:

THAT will be the ultimate HTPC software/hardware solution to finally be the first solution that bitstreams HD audio.

Let's also not forget PDVD downsamples ALL lpcm audio to 16bit/48khz right now regardless of the PAP issue: Cyberlink calls it a "bug" but I suspect they did it on purpose while trying to work out PAP issues. In any case LPCM audio is being molested by PDVD whether you like it or not.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I agree completely with your analysis. Cyberlink is a company that can not be counted on to provide bug fixes for example - something that should be done in days not months. But like you alluded to in your post, when TMT comes free with the Asus HDMI card they are going to get what they deserve in a lot of lost sales. Even piracy won't help them out much.

·
Registered
659 Posts

Quote:
Blue Ray titles in the ISO format - which is the ONLY way Blue Ray's should be ripped.

Rubbish ....only way to lock yourself into using crappy/buggy commercial software like PowerDVD/TMT more like.... take a look around the forum and take note at how many people can't get discs to play, can't get content to there displays, have repeated crashes, have to "hack" the players to get functionality, are annoyed at down res sound. Honestly why pay £100 for something that requires constant updates, is always having features removed, will not work with a great deal of current hardwere, will not play some "problem" discs, doesn't do what it advertises and is laden with DRM issues when their are many free open source players which work much better.

Jiff.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Name one free open software that will playback Bluerays or DVD's. There is a reason why even Slysoft can't really make a player. In this particular case there is a question of royalties ect. Check out the Slysoft forums to see why that is not feasible.

·
Registered
5,447 Posts
I think Jiff is saying that if you rip to a file rather than an ISO, you can play the files with free players. I can rip to MKVs with FLAC and play on just about any free DirectShow player.

I still payed for the players though. Some nice decoders there.

·
Banned
286 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucifer1977 /forum/post/14310943

Name one free open software that will playback Bluerays or DVD's. There is a reason why even Slysoft can't really make a player. In this particular case there is a question of royalties ect. Check out the Slysoft forums to see why that is not feasible.

mplayer. So long as you don't really need the blu-ray menus.

Blu-ray/HD-dvd ISO files can be directly mounted under both windows and linux too, so ripping as ISO doesn't preclude anything either.

·
Registered
142 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiffOrange /forum/post/14308779

Rubbish ....only way to lock yourself into using crappy/buggy commercial software like PowerDVD/TMT more like.... take a look around the forum and take note at how many people can't get discs to play, can't get content to there displays, have repeated crashes, have to "hack" the players to get functionality, are annoyed at down res sound. Honestly why pay £100 for something that requires constant updates, is always having features removed, will not work with a great deal of current hardwere, will not play some "problem" discs, doesn't do what it advertises and is laden with DRM issues when their are many free open source players which work much better.

Jiff.

Thanks Jiff. But what file format should we rip to? I hate PowerDVD but I don't want to compress the blu-ray movie so it looks or sounds poor. Your advice?

·
Registered
4,899 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucifer1977 /forum/post/14310943

MPC-HC plays the mts files from a mounted BD. Not sure how it handles audio at this time.

I'd wager within a year MPC-HC will have full 1.1 BD support.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts