AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to this so please understand that while I've read and printed a tremendous amount of all this excellent site has to offer, I am at the point where all this preparation will now be turned into a hands on endeavor.

Please tell me if I can use PowerDVD 4.0 + Dscaler to output to my NEC 6PG via a breakout cable or do I need to add Powerstrip and TheaterTek first in order to feed the highest quality signal to the projector?

Understand that I've never had an HTPC or a CRT projector before so I'm just looking for the simplest quality signal route to get me to my goal of getting the NEC perfectly setup. After that I'm totally into getting all that is considered best to have in terms of the HTPC but for now I'm kinda using it as a means to an end...that being getting this NEC near it's full potential.

The HTPC is a Dell P4 2.66 with 512mb, an ATI 9000 Pro and DVD writer which just got delivered yesterday.

I'm commited to seeing some sort of a beautiful picture out of this setup by Sunday evening...even if I have to go without sleep and take steroids to accomplish that.

Thank you all.

Walter

·
Registered
9,398 Posts
HDTVplus,

Powerstrip is necessary if you need to output custom display card timings. You shouldn't have any problem with Power DVD 4 with Dscaler. However, you might be up longer than you think. Has the NEC been aligned yet? If not, you have a long road ahead of you.

Good Luck !

Bruce

·
Registered
7,137 Posts
Note: PowerDVD and dScaler serve complete different functions. One adds nothing to the other.

PowerDVD is for playing back DVD's. dScaler's for scaling up EXTERNAL sources using a TV capture card.

PowerDVD will work fine, but TheaterTek is has better picture quality and has all the built in features you'll ever need such as automatic aspect ratio control.

Powerstrip's only needed if you want to run a resolution and/or refresh rate that isn't offered by defauly by the video card drivers. Given your projector, a good place to start would be 1280x720 *if* your screen's 16x9. This resolution probably will require PowerStrip. In that case you might as well also run at 71.928Hz refresh rate to get true x3 of film rate that most of us use to get the smoothest playback possible.

Kal

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I thought that I needed Dscaler to turn the 480i signal into progressive scan from my DVD drive...are you saying that PowerDVD can be set to output progressive scan all by itself?

Thanks again.

Walter

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Only if you plan to use an external dvd player (bad idea). Better to use a dvdrom drive and just use a software dvd player like powerdvd/TT.

·
Registered
6,125 Posts
My suggestion is to master one or the other before you jump in head first. NEC's are a bit confusing at first and trying to figure out your HTPC setup at the same time will drive you nuts. JMHO...

Chip S.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by kal
...Given your projector, a good place to start would be 1280x720 *if* your screen's 16x9. This resolution probably will require PowerStrip...

Kal
Nice, clear explanation. Thank you.

I have a two-part question:

Given the same projector, what rate would you run if you had a 2.35 screen (1280 X 544?)-- and would it be different from the scan rate you'd run if you were watching a 2.35 film on a 1.78 screen masked to 2.35?

·
Registered
358 Posts
Your computer is probably way overkill for HTPCing. Anything over 700 mhz an a descent dvd-rom will yield good results. I too use a Dimension 4550 running at 1.6ghz. All the software players only use about 10-20 percent cpu time.

As for you screen. You probably would have a hard time squishin OTA HDTV and other non 2.35 material onto a screen runnin at that res. Stick with [email protected] it is your friend :D. And if you can get your room dark enough there is no need for a masking system you will find. I run a 96x54 screen and the pg Xtra can be almost blindingly bright in a dark room. Ive tried both powerdvd, sonic dvd, and theater tek. I stuck with power dvd beacuse i felt it had more control although the picture was just a tiny bit granier then TT or Sonic but it was negligble. But if you 10 feet away you probably wont see a difference.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you all for answering. How would I set the 1280 x 720 @ 71.928hz in powerstrip? I see that it asks whether you want to use "predefined" or "user defined" resolutions but that setting is available as predefined in 2 different categories (HDTV) and (LCD) but when you click one or the other it does change some of the other settings. Can someone tell me which is the best one to choose and if that turns out to be user defined what I should key into the fields?

Thanks for all of your answers thus far!

Walter

·
Registered
154 Posts
Dscaler and external DVD player will give you headeaches due to the Macrovision copy protection that is encoded in the video.

I would not recomend trying to play with the above setup expecially when you are trying to tweak your projector cause it will drive you nuts.

Laz

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.