AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have all kind of problem trying to play blu-ray movie on my Dell Studio Slim 540S. The blu-ray drive is PLDS BD-RE DX-4B15. It is running on Vista. It used to be PowerDVD Dx 8.1, but it is updated with the latest PowerDVD Dx 8.3. It used to work fine several months ago.

When I tried to play State of Play blu-ray movie, it popped up with: "A critical component of the blu-ray Player requires periodic updates. New movie could fail to if the critical component is not updated promptly." I click Update Now, and it said No update is currently available.

I spent roughly 3 hours with Dell Tech support last night. They tried to un-install all the PowerDVD and all the software that related to blu-ray encoders. I'm talking about they literally un-installed all PowerDVD stuff and my DirecTV2PC, PowerDVDdirector, PowerDVD2go, games, etc. I told them it used to work with all these software in it, and it should work with it now but they un-installed it anyway. It'll take me forever to re-install all my software.

After they un-installed everything, they re-installed the PowerDVD Dx 8.1 and updated it to 8.3, and still didn't work. They tried the PowerDVD 9 trial version, and it didn't work either. From my past experiences, the trial version usually wouldn't work very well anyway. They do not include all the necessary files in it. They tried the VCL media player, and it still didn't work.

The blu-ray drive is functioning fine, because it can plays standard DVD movie fine. They provided a phone number for their software expert. I'll try to call them tonight. They are probably will delete everything in my PC or format my hard drive. I hate it when they do that. It'll waste a lot of my time to re-install it.

I thought that someone here might encountered this problem too and might have a better idea how to fix it...! Is there any suggestion before I give Dell software expert a call?

Thanks.

·
Banned
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
It is sad that Dell Software Expert tried to charge me $225 for their extend warrantee before they can start look into my problem. I denied their charge and service. I had very similar problem with the PowerDVD on my wife HP laptop. HP was able to fix it for her for free, and it is playing blu-ray fine afterward.

I cannot believe that Dell is blaming on the registry in my PC. They said it could have been corrupted. It prevented the PowerDVD update for the new blu-ray movie.

Anyway, I spent $79 for the PowerDVD 9 ultra, which is a lot less than Dell software extend warrantee. I removed the crapp** and boring Dell PowerDVD 8 and installed the PowerDVD 9 ultra. I got the free DVDFab passkey off the Internet, and I can play any blu-ray on my Dell Studio now. At least Cyberlink is a lot easier to work with than Dell. It is not the registry problem. It has something to with the Vista Service Pack updates, and I need the updates for better protection. Dell should have better prepared to deal with Microsoft update to keep up with their pre-installed software. I cannot believe that they don't support their included software and my PC is still under warrantee.

Please don't let Dell scare you with their bulsh**t tactics, and they try to sale you their over price warrantee.

I purchased a lot of electronics from Dell and they don't stand behind their product. If this Dell is dead, I'll buy a different brand.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Don't be too hard on Dell. I personally do not own a Dell. The problem is with PowerDVD 8. After the update, it does not work, like you have experienced. I am loathe to go to PowerDVD 9 because it does not support HD-DVD playback but I may be forced to for AVCHD and bluray video support.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts