AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have built my first HTPC with the help on this forum, and having one small problem I would like to try and fix. powerDVD works great output to my ECP4000. Problem is with the ATI player. It starts up and runs, until I try to switch it to full screen....this causes my PC to shutdown and restart. I upgraded to the latest player, drivers (oct 2001) , and multimedia center launchpad (7.1). Anyone have any ideas? Here are the particulars"

Athlon 1.4 Thunderbird

Radeon VE 32M DDR

650 (approx) meg 133 ram

W2K w/service pack 2

the only other hardware on the PC is a 56k modem, my DirecPC (USB) satellite, and USB hot sync cradle for my Palm Pilot. I also reformatted my main hard drive last weekend, so there really isn't any software installed so to speak. i have a 13G as my main (OS and associated files only) and a 40G for programs. I have not reinstalled all the programs on drive 2 as of yet. Thanks for any help, Jay

·
Registered
276 Posts
Welcome to the world of the ATI player. There is an ATI registry fix somewhere on this forum that might help. I would first try running the ATI player through DVD Genie ( www.inmatrix.com ).

Others should be of more help.

Slobbie

·
Registered
283 Posts
I eventually gave up on the ATI player, but if your running a via chipset mobo, make sure you have recent 4-in-1 drivers installed, the pre 4.31 versions in particular had a lo of problems.

Also some soundcards don't get on well with the ATI Radeon chipset cards, but there's not a lot you can do about that.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Jay,

I also have a Radeon VE running under W2K SP2 on a 1.33 Tbird.

I have the same problem as you with the ATI player. When it starts up in full screen mode, it crashes the computer. Other posts here indicate that many people have problems with the ATI player running with VE under W2K. A few people appear to have gotten it to work.

In addition, I have been unable to get the "paid up" version of the PowerDVD player to run. It reports an ASPI error, and I have the latest ASPI software installed. (The trial version downloaded from the PowerDVD site worked fine. My problem is with the full version.) Cyberlink Support has been unresponsive to repeated follow-up.

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My PowerDVD works great...I guess I'm upset at paying for something I had at no charge. I have read that the ATI player is the best, and there it is, for free (with video card purchase) and I can't use it. Instead I have to spend $50 to get the same (basically a DVD player) that I already own. At this point, the $50 was worth it...we watched Episode I Saturday night and not a single solitary hiccup...not one. So I guess the ATI player may be free...but like always, you get what you pay for. I just wish they had something more reliable.

OK off soapbox now :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.