Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a HEADACHE ,

what do u think i should get power dvd xp 4.0 or that new BABY ?

i've always been a POWER DVD fan , but i prefered windvd 3.0 only for software DTS decoding,but now power dvd will do IT with LOTS of other features.. but the new BABY can't do IT .

So what to GET????

i don't care about picture quality which will only be NOTICABLE on high end big scrrens with projectors. I wach dvds on a 32'' wide screen t.v.

but again power dvd promises a SUPERB PQ.

I need a demo version of BOTH of them to EVALUATE it myself.and i think all of u want that too

·
Registered
288 Posts
I think there will be a new PowerDVD demo next month, but from what I have heard, there will not be a trial of Theatertek.

PowerDVD XP is nice, but I can' tell you anything about Theatertek at all!

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
If software DTS decoding is a must, only PowerDVD and WinDVD can meet the requirements.

Basically the strengths of PowerDVD are superior audio and video filters.

Maybe they can blow DSCinemXXXXXDecoder.dll and iviXXXXX.ax out of the water, huh? http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/images/icons/icon7.gif

IMHO it is kinda hard to compare PDVD XP and TT DVD because they are targeted for mass market and real home theater respectively.

Just my 2 yen. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/tongue.gif

·
Banned
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No demo for TheaterTek and u can't talk about it at all !!!

So i will not buy it!!!

i will go POWER DVD XP PRO 4.0 all the way.

IF theatertek had soooo many sound features as POWERDVD , it would be a lot of ppl's choice , but i think those ppl are just like me , have no DTS or DPL II hardware decoders and have 5.1 sound cards.

If only TeaterTek had DTS and DPL II ,even if for 100 $, then I think I might get it.

On the other hand I will wait a little more to see more comparisons between them in the next few weeks.

KEEP UP WITH THE GOOD WORK :cool:

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
I really don't understand why I should pay for Theatertek as it's just a front end with Cinemaster filters. It can't do any software decoding of audio. It just passes the signal along via SPDIF. This is OK but I can't see paying $70 USD for this. For $70, I'd get PowerDVD XP or some original new players with new decoding engines. Zoomplayer 2.1 is FREE !!! and nearly does the same thing as Theatertek. It's a little less user friendly but the learning curve is not steep if you don't try to do fancy things. I can use Cinemaster 2000 video and audio filters with Zoomplayer with stability unheard off on Cinemaster players. Plus it let me zoom and unzoom 4:3 titles on my zoomless LT150. Plus it let me correct any over or underscans of image. All these zooms are without picture quality or smoothness penalties. Dolby Digital pass through works perfectly via coaxial SPDIF using Win98SE and Aureal Vortex 1 ($10 sound card :) ) It won't pass DTS but neither did Cinemaster 2000. It's just a FRONT END player like the Theatertek; except it's FREE :) I have not tried to mix filters (Video with Cinemaster and Audio with WinDVD 3.0) but others have successfully (provided you have Win2000 or WinXP--I just have Win98SE so afraid to try). Good job, Blight (he wrote Zoomplayer which came before Theatertek)

·
Registered
727 Posts
I can understand those members (being one of them myself) who have invested handsomely into a dedicated HT solutions where everything should be button operated. Rounding up the hardware with a well thought of piece of software player that sits nicely with the rest of the system is a real bargain for $70 (compare this for example with a cost of a good longish s-video or similar cable one would have to buy to connect stand alone player to the rest of the equipment).

If indeed, TheaterTek player has introduced unique navigational features not seen in any other players, it at least deserves some initial success.

However, to be commercially viable long term, much more steady demand is necessary, probably in a region of several hundred thousand full sales per year. I only hope there are that many HT enthusiasts arround the globe with their buttons ready and waiting.

On the other hand Blight's business model is much simpler. The life expectancy of ZoomPlayer is zero, so every extra day we get is a present to be gratefuly acknoledged.

For me the ability to play VOB file is of upmost importance (as my system is concentrated around a large video server), so TheaterTek development is of interest but not immediately useful. On the other hand PowerDVD has been the only player I have found in the last couple of years to properly interpret aspect ratio of a VOB file, so the arrival of a new version, which hopefully resolves AC3/DTS pass-thru under W2K or XP requires my immediate attention.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
I keep on hearing of onboard decoding. So what YOU guys that are doing this are saying that you don't use a pre/pro amp. That your puter is your pre/pro amp? If that the case then you are the wrong market for theater. For instance I WILL go theater jsut for the simple fact that it supports everything I need and is MADE for the HT market unlike Powerdvd, Windvd which are a MASS market product. Most people DO NOT do onboard conversion. Why do you ask? Simple I rather run the digital signal as close to the the speakers as possible. And unless you put your HT computer with in 10 feet of you F/C/R right channel speakers. About pointless.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
ANd another thing. Why is that everyone bitches and moans YET they haven't used it??? A quick suggestion. Until such time that you actually do tinker with it. Reserve your judgement. Cuz for all you know. What you are READING is only bits and pieces of the entire picture ;)

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Figgie, Wise words... I have no desire to get into any back and forth but just say that everyone who feels that they doubt this product should just sit back and wait until the population at large receives and reviews it...

The reason why Electronic Punk above can not say anything about the TT player has nothing to do with NDA rather he does not yet have a copy... Relax on the conspiracy theories...

·
Registered
653 Posts
For me, it looks like the main advantage of the new PowerDVD is the audio decoding. And right now, I don't see that as an advantage since mainstream 5.1 soundcards don't have the same audio quality as my pre/pro. Until the Delta Theater comes out or the Delta 1010 gets better drivers, I think SPDIF is the better option. As for video quality, I have not seen anyone directly compare the two. Cliff Watson has probably seen both so maybe he can chime in at some point. As for the DXVA business that was mentioned in this thread , the TT player should take advantage of the Radeon hardware so I'm not sure if the DXVA will add anything or not (DXVA is merely a Microsoft specification and would be only one way to implement hardware specific features). The price for PowerDVD is $75 so the prices are comparable.

As for the TT player vs. the ZoomPlayer, you're paying for ease of use. There have been several complaints about people having problems with getting ZP to work, especially with respect to SPDIF pass through. The TT player will pass both DD and DTS without problems according to the announcement and testimonials. Also, I'm sure that Immersive will be very responsive to upgrade requests from the community.

Personally, I don't need a demo version. The reviews by all the people on this forum is good enough for me.

·
Registered
830 Posts
>It is PERFECT..

OMG!

After 5 mins with PowerDVD XP Pro there's little doubt that this truly is the state of the art - the Nvidia acceleration DxVA is just about dammit on the Radeon's tail. The colour, smoothness, gradients all improved.

I have just played DVD with ac3/dts sp/dif out so I haven't played with all the toys yet.

There is little doubt that there is a new sherriff in town and this is just with sp/dif out. With a 6 channel card I think I'm going to be even more impressed...

T.

·
Banned
1,007 Posts
Pham,

in one of these threads there were specific comments by I believe cliff watson regarding PQ related to DXVA. Apparently the use of this not only complies with where the OS is going but also increases depth in the picture. Every other player you will see on the market in the next month will use DXVA, and that will result in a better PQ.

As for sound issues, the Zoomplayer is a front end, free player, so please realize that any use of that player is up to the end user. SPDIF out works for some but it needs to be used under the correct OS and configured properly.

The ITT player has refined some of the sound filters that were used with t he ATI player to increase the success with DTS passthrough, but I would venture a guess that for those who have had problems with SPDIF will have problems there as well.

----------

A more appropriate place for Q&A's for the ITT player would be its website, or a separate forum on this website, which don't exist at this time. An FAQ would be nice as well, so that the developers don't complain when people repost questions. If product comments and suggestions are not wanted then make a closed thread or keep it on a website. Don't expect to keep a THREAD at the top of the fourm and decide what comments can or cannot be made on it.

·
Registered
653 Posts
hmcgrath, thanks for your comments. Regarding DXVA, I'm not entirely convinced as to what exactly this does besides making a standard specification to access the various vendor/model-specific features of the graphics card. If you've read some of Stephen Orr's recent posts , the latest version of the ATI Player was redesigned to conform to the DXVA spec. However, Mr. Orr said that the features used by this spec are basically the same as what was already available in the ATI Player 4.1.
Quote:
Worse video, should not be the case. The same Video. DXVA (mentioned in the earlier post) is a "standard API for video accelleration" which we implement and (internally) use iDCT. We have less control of the video (certainly) and we don't like that, but the Overlay HW is smart enough to compensate. Note also that ALL decoders (Cyberlink, Mediamatics, IVI, etc.) are being forced over to DXVA with Windows XP.
I also read Cliff's post and wasn't sure if it referred to the old PowerDVD vs. the new PowerDVD (or if it was even using the Radeon).

·
Banned
1,007 Posts
Thanks pham. From what I have been hearing the Power DVD XP 4.0 is the best software player yet. PQ is superior to the ATI player 4.1 version.

The TheaterTek player will most likely surpass any other players in a short period of time, but not in the first version, IMO. I think that the speed that Chivs is going to increase the features and ouput of the player will be much quicker than any of the other Big players.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.