AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been having a little problem with this. When I have a second monitor connected to the second DVI output w/ VGA adapter on my 7500, PowerDVD XP insists on producing a blocky/pixelated image. Now when I use Zoomplayer with Cineplayer filters, this does not happen. I would have no problem using Zoomplayer exclusively but it not very stable on my system. The system is in need of a reload but this problem has been the case even after that last reload. I am getting ready to close on my new house next week and after that, it will probably be about a month until the new dedicated room is complete. I would like to put a second monitor on a coffee table for setup, email, and surfing purposes. If anyone can give me a hand with this, I would appreciated it. HTPC hardware list below

Windows 2000 Pro

Intel Celeron 900 (trying to bump to P3 1G)

Intel 815 chipset

Radeon 7500 w/ 6045 drivers (or default CD drivers)

D Link Nic (currently disabled)

Hercules Game Theater XP

Avermedia AverTV Stereo

20G WD 7200 HDD

No software other than the basic HTPC software the most people use here

Other than that, VGA cable to the projector is a 10' heavy shielded cable and I doubt is any of the problem. The primary connection goes to a Sony VPL CX1 and the second will need to go to a Compaq 15" monitor. Thanks for any help with this,

David

·
Registered
803 Posts
This happens when the overlay is done in directshow instead of DXVA. If you want the overlay to show on the two vga outputs, then there is no other way. Cineplayer does it but it should be only on a disply at time.

Try to use the overlay only on the Projector for thr moment

bye

·
Oppo Beta Group
11,945 Posts
I have seen a similar problem using TheaterTek and PowerDVD using my 7500.

I have both displays active since I have a HiPix card and it is easier to control through the VGA output. I use DVI for the DVD.

I have a friend with the same system and the same problems.

How can I play with this overlay setting to see if it helps get rid

of the probem?

Thanks in advance,

Rich

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Overlay can only be display one head at a time on Radeon cards. Matrox can do dual overlay I do believe but not Radeons or Geforce. When it uses both heads for DVD imaging, overlay is not used at all that's why picture quality s*cks. Disable one head via hotkey and PowerDVD XP should work fine. Other DVD players will automatically choose the primary head when both heads are active and have black screen on the other secondary head. If only one head is active then obviously that head will display the DVD image. PowerDVD 3.0 will do this too but PowerDVD XP has a bug that will try to use both heads and thus not use overlay properly.

·
Registered
165 Posts
OK, I hate to say it but I have Powerdvd XP 4.0 running at 1024x768 60HZ on a Radeon VE twin head and is works fine. One monitor is a IBM DVI TFT display and the other is a Plasma. I know this isn't ideal but it does work. I think the problem is the DVI-VGA convertor bit.

Just my two cents

Dan

·
Registered
108 Posts
dannydlp - unless you know the "super secret" setup :), I recommend you try turning off one of your display outputs and see if it improves the PQ drastically. I could be wrong - hell, I HOPE I'm wrong!! :)

I returned a VE for the very problem DavidMc describes in his email. I later bought a Radeon 7500 and everything looked GREAT - that is, until I enabled the second output - I experienced the same thing as the VE. Through trial and error I tracked it to the dual output thing - if its enabled, PQ is crap. Lo and behold it wasn't a problem with the VE after all - oh well, the 7500 may be a bit better anyways.

If you want dual overlay support, your best bet may be a VGA distribution amplifier (e.g. Extron). It's what I plan to get despite my owning a dual output Radeon.

-Jeff

·
Registered
179 Posts
Well, I have Powerdvd XP 4.0 running at 1024x768 60HZ on a Radeon VE twin head and whenever I enable both heads the display does indeed become blockier (for me anyways). One display is an LT150 projector and the other is a Trinitron (P1100). The same pixelization happens if the projector is run at in tandem with the Svideo out to the TV.

I use a girder script to swap displays - it works great...

(but if there is some new trick to enable two HQ overlays at once I'd love to know about it)

·
Oppo Beta Group
11,945 Posts
I have tried disabling monitors on my 7500, but that did not seem to help the problem.

I am using TheaterTek 1.1 player. Everything was fine until I got my new 503CMX and hooked it up. Since I also have Hipix card, it makes sense to use the VGA port so that I do not have to switch the input to run the GUI.

What a pain.

I also tried this with the PowerDVD and it was worse.

-- Rich

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.